Favorite #8 With Ghost Image, Bad Mould?

Your link is to an album, not an image. Using tags won't work.

The jagged line is called a "sag" or "shift", something unintentional that happened to the sand mold that apparently got by QC. The phenomenon is seen enough that maybe it wasn't considered a defect worth culling.

Your link is to an album, not an image. Using tags won't work.

The jagged line is called a "sag" or "shift", something unintentional that happened to the sand mold that apparently got by QC. The phenomenon is seen enough that maybe it wasn't considered a defect worth culling.[/QUOTE]
Well I didn't realize it was a album. In the future I'll post single images.

Ok.. I learned something new there. Of course I didn't know the sag was there until I cleaned it up. I suppose the the retanglar ghost mark was a label that said do not use. :biggrin:

Thanks Doug!

no the little 'raised' rectangle was probably something added to the pattern to cover up an earlier style of the logo... probably the block 'Favorite Piqua Ware'.. the new smiley logo covered the 'Favorite' and 'Piqua' and the little block you see below covered the word 'ware'.

https://imgur.com/gallery/odlJoAJ

if you'll notice on the third pic, there are similar sections that presumably covered up the earlier 'the best to cook in' markings.

Sand shifts happen all of the time. They are no big deal. I have a Dixie foundry #8 that has a raised mark with 2 sides of a square on the inside cooking surface, but not visible on the outside. It looks like the mold was hit on the inside with a tamping stick by the mold maker. Its a defect, but the skillet still works just as fine as the rest of them.

Back