Ratio of Lye to vinegar for neutrilizing

... and into the storm drains and out to the lakes and rivers.

Nope... if you can pour lye down the drain, you can surely pour washing soda down the drain. Let the sewage treatment plant take care of it, not the fish.

You wash your truck in a tub? You just might be doing more in way of harming the environmental that you think.
We do not have storm drains in the sticks, and would not recommend pouring anything around storm drains, lakes and rivers.

The hazard of Sodium Carbonate (washing soda) for the environment is mainly caused by the pH effect of the Carbonate ion. This is why I said to Wash down your driveway.
Washing Soda is Phosphate Free. And is also safe for septic systems.

Sewage treatment plant, we do not have one, thank you.

The only harmful thing in the E-tank is the metals and the old crud. That is why I said to dump it into the trash. I am thinking a gravel driveway to pour the water.

I have a brook that runs through my property, with live trout. So I know all about taking care of my fish.

Like I said, I am a tree hugger, also Our farm is Organic.

Something for you to read; http://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/sodium_carbonate#section=Toxicity

Serge G, Just how many gallons is your E-tank, 10, 20, 30? Also just how much washing soda to a gallon did you use?

We are not talking 1000 gallons here folks.

Anybody that cares for a trout stream is OK by me!!! When can I come to visit? And which flyrod should I bring?

I realized after I posted that that I was picturing my own scenario... washing down the drive, into the street, down the hill, into the storm sewer and into the river. Good point about no phosphates, too.

Something most forget is that our water comes from where, the ground. Well, we have our own well. No city or town water here. We all need to do our part, before it is to late. I like to drink the water out of my brook, as the beavers did not pay rent so they have been evicted years ago. They were killing way toooooo many trees. I like my trees.

Last edited:
My E-tank will not exceed more 15 gallons tops, I am more of user than a collector. I mentioned in the past ,when I go camping I carry at least 4 Dutch Ovens and the associated equipment, I do not travel light, changing my rig is in the forecast but I digress. I will clean up a dozen items and more then likely dump the water in my gravel driveway and the crud I can take to work and put it with the huge metal recycling bin.

My E-tank will not exceed more 15 gallons tops, I am more of user than a collector. I mentioned in the past ,when I go camping I carry at least 4 Dutch Ovens and the associated equipment, I do not travel light, changing my rig is in the forecast but I digress. I will clean up a dozen items and more then likely dump the water in my gravel driveway and the crud I can take to work and put it with the huge metal recycling bin.

:icon_thumbsup:

Back