Steak

M Garner

dose anyone ever cook a steak in cast iron? I cooked me and the wife one yesterday. here is one being seared. this was my great grandma's pan. Image

I cook the majority of my steaks here or on the gas grill:

IMG_1567_zpsy9kykzvx.jpg

On the rare occasion I do them in cast iron, I use this:

IMG_1681_zps1vqo4nf2.jpg

But that's a good lookin' ribeye you got there!

I do steak in CI often these days. Either sear on stovetop and oven finish, or more likely, bring to just below desired internal in the oven then a very hot reverse sear on a high burner.

I tried this guy's reverse sear method a couple of times . It was pretty good: http://www.littlethings.com/cooking-steak-reverse-sear

But this is the way I usually do it. I use a cast iron skillet and my grill ...

Ingredients

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 (1 1/2- to 2-lb.) bone-in rib-eye or porterhouse steak (about 2 inches thick)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 tablespoons butter
8 fresh herb sprigs (such as thyme, rosemary, and oregano)
3 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed

Directions

Preheat grill to 400° to 450° (high) heat. Heat a 12-inch cast-iron skillet on grill, covered with grill lid, 15 minutes. Sprinkle salt and pepper generously over steak.
Add oil to skillet. (Oil should smoke.) Using tongs, place steak in skillet, and cook on grill, without grill lid, 10 minutes or until dark brown and crusty. Turn steak on fatty edge in skillet, holding upright with tongs, and cook 2 minutes. Place steak, uncooked side down, in skillet. Cook on grill, covered with grill lid, 8 to 10 minutes or to desired degree of doneness. (We recommend an internal temperature of 120° to 125° for medium-rare; temperature will rise as steak rests.)
Add butter, herbs, and garlic to side of skillet, and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until butter foams. Tilt skillet slightly, and spoon butter mixture over steak 20 times (being careful not to splatter). Transfer steak, herbs, and garlic to a platter; let stand for 5 to 10 minutes. Slice against the grain.

I tried this guy's reverse sear method a couple of times . It was pretty good: http://www.littlethings.com/cooking-steak-reverse-sear

But this is the way I usually do it. I use a cast iron skillet and my grill ...

Ingredients

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 (1 1/2- to 2-lb.) bone-in rib-eye or porterhouse steak (about 2 inches thick)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 tablespoons butter
8 fresh herb sprigs (such as thyme, rosemary, and oregano)
3 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed

Directions

Preheat grill to 400° to 450° (high) heat. Heat a 12-inch cast-iron skillet on grill, covered with grill lid, 15 minutes. Sprinkle salt and pepper generously over steak.
Add oil to skillet. (Oil should smoke.) Using tongs, place steak in skillet, and cook on grill, without grill lid, 10 minutes or until dark brown and crusty. Turn steak on fatty edge in skillet, holding upright with tongs, and cook 2 minutes. Place steak, uncooked side down, in skillet. Cook on grill, covered with grill lid, 8 to 10 minutes or to desired degree of doneness. (We recommend an internal temperature of 120° to 125° for medium-rare; temperature will rise as steak rests.)
Add butter, herbs, and garlic to side of skillet, and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until butter foams. Tilt skillet slightly, and spoon butter mixture over steak 20 times (being careful not to splatter). Transfer steak, herbs, and garlic to a platter; let stand for 5 to 10 minutes. Slice against the grain.

Ah ha ! "Cast Iron Cowboy Steak". I knew this sounded familiar. I have also been using this method, with great success. Last weekend, after preparing a nice 1 1/2" ribeye, my wife later commented - "I believe that was the best steak I have ever eaten". I got to agree, follow this guideline, and you will be rewarded - http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/cast-iron-cowboy-steak

Note: The CI skillet gets extremely "HOT", so be prepared. I normally use my BSR #8 CF, and I have actually ruined two high-temperature gloves. I now use a handle cover, along with a glove. The problem usually arises at the end of the cooking process, when tilting the skillet to spoon the butter, herbs, and garlic over the steak. Just be careful - and enjoy a great steak !

I buy ribeyes and cut them in half...stovetop in a Griswold #3 every Saturday night. Haven't tried the oven option, may have to though.

I buy ribeyes and cut them in half...stovetop in a Griswold #3 every Saturday night. Haven't tried the oven option, may have to though.

Hey Stephen, if you were referring to the "Cast Iron Cowboy Steak", that was on a gas grill, or I should say, "in" a gas grill. Oh so goooood! ;)

Otherwise, I may have to try that "reverse sear" method myself. That likewise, sounds pretty tasty !

Just tried the reverse sear method. Can't say I'm too impressed. Not sure why he suggests so much salt; I tried it that way, but as far as I'm concerned, salt draws the juice out of the meat. I did get a good medium rare, though. Just too dry!

May try this reverse sear again...much less salt next time.

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

P.S. Maybe I should add that I like my steak burnt on the outside and blood on the inside. CI seems to work well for that!

I never use my good CI for steaks. Here is why. I have a Cuisinart Convection oven that I set up in back patio so I dont heat and smoke the house out. Set it to 500 and throw my beater Lodge pan in it for 30 min. While waiting I get steak at room temp and season to taste. 5 min before pan is ready I turn stove top burner to medium. Then after the 30min when pan is heated I put pan on burner.. add a tiny pit of oil and then throw steak on. 2.5 minutes a side for 1” thick for medium rare. Experiment on times but usually a perfect steak everytime.

Last edited:
Back