Help ID This Skillet

LeslieG

I have acquired an 8" diameter skillet from a friend, who said it once belonged to her grandmother. It was quite crusted with black gunk but i"m working on cleaning it. I already have an 8" Griswold that is it almost like it but there are a few differences.

The new skillet has no brand markings underneath. There is no heat ring, and there is a faint number 3 near the handle on the bottom surface. The handle oval opening is almost the same shape as a Griswold, but maybe 50% smaller. There is a ridge that runs along the underside of the handle, but it does not meet the pan body with a flat triangle, like the Griswold has.

The working surface of the handle has a 5 near where it meets the body, but it is a rather strange 5, where the tail of the 5 elongates past the circular section, if that makes sense.

Overall, the cooking surface is very smooth. There are a few scattered pits in strange places on the sides, and an imperfection on the handle edge, like the metal was pushed on and made a bit of a tent while it was molten.

Any ideas what this pan could be? I will try to post photos but not sure I'm familiar with this system. Thanks in advance!

Photos of the entire top and bottom including the handle will save a lot of time. See the Adding Photos to a Forum Post sticky topics for assistance.

Hard to say. It looks well made and finished. The large pour spouts (and the sulfur pitting) tend to indicate 1940s or earlier, but the markings and handle shape don't give any real clues.

Wow, I guess if YOU of all people don't know, it really will be a mystery that might not ever get solved. I did see one on Ebay that was almost identical but the 5 on the handle, while described by seller as having a "strange font", was not exactly like the font of mine, but very similar in style. Maybe others out there have seen such a pan too.

Back