Gas Stove Flame Marks

SeanD

Anyone have a safe, easy way to remove the flame marks left on the bottom of CI after its been used on a gas range? They dont really come off when I put a thin coat of oil on them. Its no big deal, as Im a user really, and collector for myself. No plans on selling any....

Is your gas burner showing all blue flame or does it have yellow/orange in it?

Air in the gas will burn orange/yellow and leave soot marks. All blue flame means it is not the gas.

I've seldom looked at the bottom of my CI and honestly don't care what it looks like. The insides are important.

Here's a pic of the bottom of one of my pans.

https://imgur.com/SJTmRGv

The only time I see flame marks like that is when I use a pan for a short period of time like to just fry a couple of eggs. Try letting the pan sit on the burner on the lowest setting for a few minutes and see if they go away. If that doesn’t work you could try putting a thin coat of oil on it and season it in the oven for an hour just like putting on the original seasoning. I personally don’t oil my pans between use and I rarely oil the bottom. As long as the bottom still looks good with no rust I don’t see the need to oil it but a few times a year just to keep it protected. Not saying my method is correct it just seems to work for me.

Thanks for the ideas. My flames are all blue, so that out of the running....Maybe I shouldnt oil the bottoms, as its on my users that I have the issue...A lot of my skillets are hanging in my computer room/dining room, and I see them all the time, lol.

Back