Griswold No 8 Waffle Iron High Base - Questions

BillP

Picked up this over the weekend.

http://imgur.com/a/BT0Hy

I believe this to be a matched set, based on the chart listing pattern numbers at http://www.castironcollector.com/waffle.php,

Shows very little wear, so I am guessing barely used.

Rust on the cooking surface, and also in the "trough" (terminology?) on the base. On the paddles, I am shocked at the difference in condition between exterior and cooking surface; makes me wonder if previous owners painted the exterior.

The base of the ring appears to have some repair between the PA and USA, and there is some raised "area" right above (when base is flat) that lettering.

Questions:
1. Assuming I strip the base and decide to season (rather than paint), would I follow the same seasoning protocol as for other cookware as per http://www.castironcollector.com/seasoning.php
2. Were there any tools, cast or otherwise, that fit in the handles on the base for moving when hot, or did users just use gloves, hot pads, etc?

I'm pretty sure that base is japanned. If so, you'll have a tough time stripping it, but if it isn't or you do get it stripped, then season as normal. Yes, they would have used oven mitts, pot holders, etc. to move the hot base.

Thanks KevinE,

When I google "japanning electrolysis", it returns hits on people restoring hand planers, and using electrolysis to remove japanning. They are dealing with much smaller surface area, and different underlying metal, so maybe they see different results than we would with cast iron.

Maybe I should just try vinegar on the slight rust on the base "trough" and skip trying to strip the base.

Thanks for the reply.

Jeff S, that is quite a collection of waffle irons.

Thanks for sharing, and for the report on your success removing japanning.

I borrowed a friend's 20 amp power supply, and my tank is drawing 7.5 amps on a separate piece. At its peak, it was drawing 10 amps, which I read is the optimum draw to avoid heating up the solutions, and was also used to remove japanning on other items.

Thanks again.

JeffS... Oh. My. Gosh. What beautiful waffle irons! I would so much like to have a high base for one of mine! :-D

Thanks Bill and Donna, It wasn't my goal to have this many waffle irons in my collection but if your a collector and find a different variation of an item while hunting you always want to buy it if possible. I am a somewhat serious collector and I'm cheap so this sometimes makes it difficult. All of these waffle irons plus some others that I ended up selling were found over the past 10 years "in the wild" as people like to say (no online buys) and were purchased at very reasonable prices. The cheapest was $5 and the most expensive was the Griswold heart and star at $45 with rest in the $15-30 range. As much as I hate cleaning them at those prices they were kind of hard for me to pass up so these pictures are the end result.

Jeff, speaking of cleaning and seasoning the waffle irons - do you have any words of wisdom that you are willing to share on oiling and wiping the waffle grid during seasoning? Thanks in advance.

In the past for oil application to the grids I have used natural bristle or cheap foam paint brushes and even pieces of cut up sponge but now use a silicone basting brush. Here is my method:
After heating all the pieces I will oil the outside only of the paddles then set aside and oil the base. I will apply enough excess oil on the base so that I can wipe my brush on it and then apply it to the grid. I just use folded up paper towels to wipe off any excess out of grid if needed. The main goal is to apply a thin enough coat of oil so that it doesn't need any extra wiping after putting it back in the oven. Hope this helps.

Jeff, thank you for sharing your experience with us.

What you describe makes perfect sense,

I really like the silicone baster idea. Not sure I would have thought of that one.

JeffS - great collection of waffle irons. Do you have an EC Simmons Keen Kutter?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 19
Unfortunately I had a shipping mishap that broke off the ball hinge. I just love the cooking surface detail.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 19
Back