CI tips for newbies and reminders for the rest of us

Guys, I have a problem with #4. That thin layer of oil that is washed off with dish soap was about to become your next layer of polymerized oil and serious scrubbing can remove some seasoning. I would suggest a much milder approach to cleaning.

Granted dish soap today is not as bad as the lye soap of yesterday but it can be detrimental to building seasoning, especially with scrubbing.

Hilditch

Thanks for the link Jack, I am going to forward it to my daughter. She has the CI bug now that she snagged my #10 Griswold skillet.

Bonnie,
PROOF THAT YOU LOVE HER A LOT!!

If I had a #10 Griswold I would still give my kids the #10 Lodge.

Jack

I have no problem with any of those. Although I don't typically use dish soap, there are times I do, like after pan roasting salmon, but very sparingly, just to disperse the fishy oils, then just wipe with a small amount of canola on a paper towel.

Some other CI myths are covered here:

http://www.castironcollector.com/myths.php

If the cooking surface of your skillet is wet after the final rinse, it is too clean to build seasoning.

Hilditch

If the cooking surface of your skillet is wet after the final rinse, it is too clean to build seasoning.

Hilditch

I'm not sure what that means. At some time in it's life, unless the CI was pre seasoned, it was clean as a whistle. Anyway, I thought the link Jack posted was pretty spot on. Maybe because it's pretty much what I do. I rarely use soap either, but will occasionally with a light scrub depending on what I've cooked. Doesn't seem to hurt a thing as far as I can tell.

Back