Lodge acquiring Finex

GTurner

Interesting news of Lodge acquiring Finex yesterday. What do you see Lodge doing with Finex? What do you think is the purpose of Lodge buying them?

I'm interested in what the community thinks of this.

Doug,if this is not a topic for posting, please remove and my apologies.

Huh. I always figured Lodge would break into the ultra-high end market by adding the capability to do so right at home in South Pittsburg rather than by acquisition.

I have no interest in buying so called high end cast iron cookwear. The quality that lodge puts out is great. It gives a good sturdy non stick surface, and the pans are thick enough to retain heat for a little while. That is exactly what I am looking for in CI.

Makes sense to me...Buy out the competition was what Stanley tools did for almost 100 years. They're still doing it from what I can tell but as a merger with Black & Decker. When an independent plane/tool maker made a product equal to or better than what Stanley did they simply bought them out and just rebranded those tools to the Stanley tool brand.
I would expect that Lodge will do the same. Just my opinion.

Interesting news.

It makes a lot of sense to me if Lodge wants to enter the high end (expensive premium CI) cast iron market. I doubt anyone would pay $100 for a Lodge skillet due to the fact they are in every Walmart and similar discount place in addition to most camping and sporting goods retailers.

Finex and similar brands are a bit like the Swedish axe manufacturers. Do I want a ~$30 hardware store axe with rough finishing and a cheap painted / varnished handle or, a hand-forged work of art with a premium Hickory handle finishing properly (i.e. not painted or varnished)?

Do I want a ~$30 hardware store axe with rough finishing and a cheap painted / varnished handle or, a hand-forged work of art with a premium Hickory handle finishing properly (i.e. not painted or varnished)?
I get what you are saying about the cheap axe. I have been looking for a good axe for some time. What I want isn't the $30 hardware store axe that won't hold an edge. I also don't want an expensive work of art that is $200. I want one somewhere in the middle that will hold and edge, have a decent handle and sells in the 80 - $100 price range.

Lodge is in that sweet spot. It is better than the poor quality Asian stuff, and it don't cost a fortune.

Back