DO ID

Stan D

A guy over in another forum found this Dutch Oven. The only markings are "No. 2" on both the lid and the bottom's bottom. The thing I've never seen is a skillet like handle instead of a bail type handle.

31913117037_fd24f66095_z.jpg

31913117087_334283bb5c_z.jpg

You can just make out the mark on the lid. Any thoughts on who made it?

Thanks for lookin'.

not exactly a 'dutch oven'... I think these are called a couple of different names... hearth oven, spider skillet...

there are a couple of facebook groups that might help:
Bottom Gate Marked Cast Iron Cookware
The Iron Works! Collectors of Early Iron!

The main page refers to it as a camp oven, but in all my years of camping, I've only heard it called a dutch oven.

They are called spider skillets in the southeast states. So many foundries made them there is no way to label who made what unless the lid is marked with a name of series of initials. This example is like most offered for sale. It is a wedded match. Someone found a lid that fit a skillet. Most have a lot of movement between the skillet and lid.

Lodge called theirs "country skillets" (with bail handles, country ovens), and they came in both shallow and deep versions, with and without heavy rimmed lids. This one being marked No. 2 makes me think it may have come from across the Atlantic. I could be wrong.

Back