Making waffles

MikeZ

Looking for some pointers on making waffles with a low base WI, on a gas or electric cooktop. Are there any problems with lifting the irons in order to turn them over? I'm assuming that the batter sets up enough so that it doesn't run out when you do so. I know that the high bases were made to accommodate the gas and electric tops. I'm thinking that this may just be a matter of convenience with a high base, in not having to lift the irons to rotate them.

I'd appreciate any cooking tips as well.

Eat a meal BEFORE making your first batch. Read the grandma’s waffle recipe below. Preheat both paddles well. Experiment to find the right temperature setting. With a low base it should be medium-low’ish. It should be 2 to 2 1/2 minutes per side. Flip over just once. The batter will not run out. Don’t open until both sides have had a chance to cook. Don’t force open, if it does not want to let go give it a little more time and gently try again. You may have to gently encourage the waffle to let loose with a fork. Expect screw ups and have a wire brush handy as the irons try to teach you what they like.

No problem with lifting to flip, just a pita.

Hilditch

Eat before attempting. Great! :)
Do you place the base and all over the burner, or just the WI in an electric stove? Seems like just the heat rising and no contact will take a while...

Base & all. Always use the base and let the hot air heat. Longer? Yes, but more likely to get the irons heated uniformly with a few flips without destroying the outer seasoning.

Hilditch

I figure it this way: if it was a good idea to place the irons right on a gas or electric burner, there wouldn't be high bases.

I have used mine on a glass top electric range.
Preheat, flip a few times for even heating of paddles.
Be careful not to go with too high a heat, as with the low base it is close to the paddles.

Back