What about cast aluminum

JMay

What is the best way to clean/restore these pieces? I know we can't use our normal CI methods.

In my wife's grandmothers collection is a nice aluminum bundt gem pan. But it is black as coal.

JMay,
Just a couple things regarding restoration of cast aluminum pieces. Read and understand the references Bonnie & Doug listed in our C.I.C. It is of upmost importance that those procedures be followed without any short-cuts.
You have probably chose the toughest restoration possible and if your not willing to go thru with it just stick to cast iron...it is much more easy.
Before you do the piece you're trying to save I would suggest starting on a cheaper piece just in case you mess something up in the step procedures recommended here. Should be able to find something at your local resale shops, Good Will Stores, flea markets etc.
I'm attaching a link to some pieces I have done here of recent w/ before and after pics w/ exception of a few.

The process once finished will be something to admire so don't give up.
Good luck.
http://imgur.com/a/ZGIqf

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 AM ----------

Tried to edit my previous post because I didn't get all the before pic's so here is an additional link of the fry pan before restoration.
Sorry....
http://imgur.com/a/DjkiB

Last edited:
Wowza, MD! What a beautiful restoration--very much worth the effort, I'd say. Thanks for sharing; it really gives us a high level to strive for.

Thanks Sharon....The really bad piece is still on my shop floor (another waffle iron) and I haven't made up my mind on when to tackle it. It for sure won't rust or get any worse. I'm about half way thru the #9 Griswold but it's coming around. Got to make another piece for the handle on my lathe and then the polishing process starting w/ the 400 grit up thru the 2000 grit. My arm muscles should be A-1 pretty soon.

I picked up this piece.

Photo-20.jpg

Photo-21.jpg

It isn't in too bad of shape except that the bottom is warped out in the middle. Thus why it is the only shiny spot on the bottom. So it doesn't sit flat. Would it be possible to pound it back in with a rubber mallet? I will read through the link in Post #2 to learn how to clean it.

I usually use a block of 2x4 about 5" long, lay it across the bump, and whack it with a rubber mallet (or just a hammer). Go slow and check after every couple of whacks.

Here's one of the same, lid before, pan after. Yours is in better shape to start.
IMAG0137

Thanks. I read through the cleaning link. Do you use the sandpaper and compounds on the inside of the pan as well as the outside? For me, this seems like an easier method than cleaning CI. Though I don't have an etank yet.

Back