Most Common & Rare Sizes?

Hello Everybody!
I hope all is well.

I am sure I'm like many on the board- I am out purchasing cast iron cookware every week, and it seems to me that the most common skillet sizes that I find are by far #3's followed by #5 & #8 skillets; all of the other sizes I find only rarely-- is this the case for you as well?

Do we know what the most common sizes are (maybe this is supplier/region dependent?) -- and adversely, what the most rare sizes are? Have you had any sets that you are trying to complete, maybe for years, that you haven't had any luck finding in the "wild"?

I would love your opinion on this topic!

Thanks- have an awesome day!

-J

I have heard the most common manufactured size was 8's. But, like you, I think I see more 3's than anything when I'm out looking.

I find the most 3's, then 8's. 5's and 6's are tied for third, then 7's followed by 10's.... 9's are as common as toy skillets.
The one thing I've never found, and I'm not sure why, is a #4! Which is unfortunate because I really want a #4 for my kitchen. Hopefully a #4 Lodge arc logo skillet is in my future. :)

For me here in Western PA, it's 3's and 8's tied for first then 6's. 5's and 10's probably next. BenjaminO, like you, I never come across 4's. That is until this past week. I picked up a Large Logo Griswold for $10, and a small for $20 at an auction (that's more than I usually pay for skillets, but couldn't pass up the 4). In fact, the small 4 came out of my e-tank about an hour ago and is in the oven right now on it's second coat of Crisco seasoning.:D

Can you post pic of that 4? I been waiting for any number 4 for 2 years. I have bsr,lodge and Wagner looking for one of those number 4 to put together one set. The most common here on Houston is 8, 18 of 20 and then #3

Some of the foundries sold starter sets consisting of size 3.5,& 8 in boxes that were given as wedding and shower gifts. Probably the 3's were used less and more of them survived. There is a starter set of BSR century series still in the box in an antique store near where I live.

Thanks All!

John C.- I had a hunch that this might be the case, I am glad we have some validation of that point as well!

-J

Back