View Single Post
Old 01-10-2015, 05:39 AM

Default Re: Don't Show, Just Tell

1. What is the first piece of cast iron cookware you actually owned?
2. Do you consider yourself more a collector, a user, or both?
3. What is the first piece you acquired with an eye toward collecting?
4. What is the first truly collectible piece you acquired?
5. If you were forced to give up your collection except for one piece, what would that piece be?
6. Knowing it's hard to name a single favorite, name up to three CI items, rare or not, on your "holy grail" or "bucket list".

==================

1.) Lodge 3-notch No. 6. Given to me by my Mother about 2 years ago now. 1/8" thick seasoning inside & out. Mother told me that she got this skillet shortly after her and my Father were married. 1969, and she's cooked in it ever since. Too small for me to use daily as I like a lot of room to move around, but this is one I'll never sell or clean up.

2.) Collector first, user second. BUT. I've spent most of my life eating crappy food. Fast food, frozen dinners, anything I could heat up in a microwave. Bachelor Chow.
Since starting to collect, I've been experimenting and making more meals at home than I ever have in my entire life. The microwave rarely gets used anymore. Cooking is now more fun to me if I can use a 100+ year old pot or piece that most normal people would rather scrap than having to clean up and make it a real user again.
I find a lot of fun in taking my rarest pieces and making a grilled cheese sandwich, browning up some meat & heating up tortillas for tacos, etc.. The more rare the item, the more I want to cook in it. I'll dig out a pan I haven't used in a while just to brown some toast. I can't say that I've cooked in ALL of my pieces, bit in time I'll get to them all.
I won't say that cast iron collecting has lead to me eating healthier, but it has led me to eating tastier food that I'm prouder of because I made it.

3.) Griswold No.8 704 skillet. (Before my fascination with other brands took hold.)

4.) Hmm.... Probably my No. 7 Wagner Ware pie logo skillet. It was probably the first skillet I bought with the thought in my head that "This is different, and it seems rarer than all of the usual stuff I see." For every 300 Griswold pieces I see, I might see one Pie Logo, and usually it's a No. 3. Any other size is harder to find. Waiting to find a 13 or 14 for $20 at a yard sale.

5.) It's far from my most expensive or rare piece, but for day to day usefulness, my No. 10 1270A Wagner round roaster / Drip Drop Lid. It could be used for bacon / eggs / pancakes if need be, but I like to cook chili, stews & beans, I don't think I could do without it. There's just something about a big iron pot that says "Cook something good in me, and share it with your friends." I'm all about cooking big and sharing.

6.) Hmm.. This is a hard one. 1.) Hunter Mfg Co. Sifter pot with lid (C.1875). I've only seen one without a lid, and was fascinated by it. Should have bought it when I had the chance. 2.) ERIE spider logo skillet. While I'm not really a Griswold collector, I'm an amateur entomologist, and the spider logo is cool. Plus the rarity thing. 3.) Perhaps I'm more of a Griswold man than I let on, but No. 3 is another Griswold. The Griswold Up To Time clock. Perhaps one of the rarest of rare Griswold items, plus it would look great in my office. I'm sure all three of these answers will change in the next week when I see something really cool.

Where did this question come from???
7.) What do your friends and family think of your obsession?
A.) Family got me started when I expressed interest. Mother gave me a No. 6 3-notch Lodge skillet first, then a National / Wagner No. 9 1359E skillet (My daily user), and then a No. 8 slant Griswold 834 D.O. with lid. They frequent thrift stores, yard sales, etc. They frequently call me and ask if I'm interested in pieces that they come across. So, very supportive.