View Single Post
Old 01-09-2015, 10:54 AM

Default Re: Don't Show, Just Tell

1. What is the first piece of cast iron cookware you actually owned?

a Lodge skillet I bought from the local hardware store.

2. Do you consider yourself more a collector, a user, or both?

hmmm...I collect nice pans to use. about a dozen skillets, a couple DOs and a waffle iron. use them all, some of them daily.

3. What is the first piece you acquired with an eye toward collecting?

a WWSO - can't remember the size.

4. What is the first truly collectible piece you acquired?

found a #6 Good Health Skillet at our local Habitat for Humanity store for $2. figured it was some 70s hippie pan when I looked at the bottom, y'know? it hid in the closet for a while until someone gave me an Erie scotch bowl and I started doing research on CI.

5. If you were forced to give up your collection except for one piece, what would that piece be?

tough question - guess it would be my late 1800's gate-marked unnamed #7 skillet. cost me $7 at a junk shop. that's the one I use everyday.

6. Knowing it's hard to name a single favorite, name up to three CI items, rare or not, on your "holy grail" or "bucket list".

i sure would like to find one of those Griswold loaf pans, with the cover. the one with the handle coming off the long side - I think its a #877. maybe one of those late 18oo pans that is nicely cast - like those 3 that SteveStephens posted pics of several months back. can't remember the name at the moment.

7. What do friends and family think of your obsession

as long as I keep cooking with them, my family is happy. my friends and colleagues are ok too, since I've helped several of them resurrect their old skillets.