View Single Post
Old 01-09-2015, 01:21 AM

Default Re: Don't Show, Just Tell

I was on a mission to find the best way to cook a steak, A friend of a friend suggested getting a cast iron skillet hot on the stove top and searing both sides then transferring in the same skillet to a hot oven to cook until medium. Found a #10 3 notch lodge at a thrift store, looked up my find and started my obsession.

1. What is the first piece of cast iron cookware you actually owned?
#10 Lodge 3 notch.

2. Do you consider yourself more a collector, a user, or both?
I have about 10 pieces I use for different purposes, A Griswold #9 lbl for burgers, Favorite Piqua round griddle for heating tortillas and pancakes, #8 BSR for sauteing, and a Wagner Ware chicken fryer for deep frying, are among my most used. So to answer the question I use them daily and of my 120 or so pieces I have tried at least 75 of them. User and Collector here.

3. What is the first piece you acquired with an eye toward collecting?
A #7 "Wagner" which I overpaid for at an antique store.

4. What is the first truly collectible piece you acquired?
Not sure what is meant by "truly collectible" if any thing pre 1960 qualifies I guess it would be the # 7 "Wagner" mentioned above. But I remember being very happy finding my first Griswold LBL.

5. If you were forced to give up your collection except for one piece, what would that piece be?
I can narrow it down to two, my first series #9 Erie Skillet or my #3 Griswold MBL with the BSA decal.

6. Knowing it's hard to name a single favorite, name up to three CI items, rare or not, on your "holy grail" or "bucket list".
A Griswold spider logo would be awesome, I collect a lot of #3 just to have examples of different logos so I am also looking of wapak #3 indian and a #3 cliff cornell. probably not the rarest of items but certainly ones I always look for.

7. What do your friends and family think of your obsession?
Mine are very supportive and look for items for me, many of my nicer pieces my dad has picked up at yard sales, but this also means I end up paying for the occasional paper weight out of obligation. Please call me before you buy it!