Pancakes

StephenH

Most recipes for pancakes include oil.

I don't have a griddle and currently make my cakes in a thin walled Griswold #6. Works OK, but I don't think it holds/distributes the heat as well; I think perhaps a thicker walled skillet or griddles probably does a better job of this. Currently looking for a large emblem Griswold #5, but that is a difference subject.

Anyway, my actual question is, do you put oil in the griddle or pan before you add batter or do you use a "dry" griddle the make pancakes? Will using oil in the skillet help distribute heat?

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

I always add a little oil or butter and wipe it around the griddle before I put my pancakes on. One of the things that I feel is important is to make sure your cooking surface is up to temperature, around 350* or so; I use an infrated thermometer to check and see if my surface is hot enough.

I have been experimenting with buckwheat pancakes lately! :tasty:

Cheers!!!....Eldon

When I do pancakes I always use a little oil of some sort after the pan heats to temp. I always used a square griddle pan mom had growing up and now use a round cast griddle pan about a #9-10 size, Easier to flip. I make bigger cakes just because I don't want to wait cooking four or five littler ones in something smaller. But that's just me and mine take a little longer to cook. I do a buttermilk type and with the other measurement of the recipe makes them bit thicker.

I am fortunate to use a #9 Griswold griddle that belonged to my mother-in-law. Butter seems to work better than oil. Plus, for pancakes, I put butter (and Vermont Maple Syrup) on them, not oil. Using butter helps me cheat on the amount of butter.

Wally

I use an older style long griddle across two burners and cook three at a time and stack them in my toaster oven inside a pampered chef clay pan to stay warm until time to eat. I hate cold food that supposed to be piping hot. I also lightly oil for the first batch and heat my syrup with added butter in the microwave. And if it's in the winter I heat the plates.

Hi Stephen,

I always add a little oil or butter and wipe it around the griddle before I put my pancakes on. One of the things that I feel is important is to make sure your cooking surface is up to temperature, around 350* or so; I use an infrated thermometer to check and see if my surface is hot enough.

I have been experimenting with buckwheat pancakes lately! :tasty:

Cheers!!!....Eldon

I also use an infrared thermometer. I feel it is essential in making sure that your pan is at the right temp. They are inexpensive now.

Back