Heart/Star Aluminum

MDFraley

Been working on this W.I for several months and finally got her cleaned. Nothing special about it but haven't seen very many of the Aluminum American by Griswold. I'm sure you long time collectors have one but this was my first and gotta say the aluminum isn't that easy to restore especially with the wire handles...they were a bugger to get off and put back.
Enjoy....
http://imgur.com/a/uGw7l

Great restoration Michael. That may be the first time I've seen the wire handles in aluminum paddles.

Jack

MD, I’m confused. I have a set of #18 H & S cast iron paddles. They have the same patent date as yours. However they have the squared off handle rest with no pins and block lettering rather than slant. I would have thought the pin rests and slant lettering were pre 1920 - like under the 1908 patent. I’m also having trouble connecting the pattern # 708 to aluminum paddles except on eBay. It, 708 was once a skillet. I by no means have all the resources, but can you direct me to more info about your set?

You did a great job cleaning. Too pretty to use?

Hilditch

Griswold aluminum p/ns are often prefaced with an A. On this set of irons, it appears above the 708x.

MD, I’m confused. I have a set of #18 H & S cast iron paddles. They have the same patent date as yours. However they have the squared off handle rest with no pins and block lettering rather than slant. I would have thought the pin rests and slant lettering were pre 1920 - like under the 1908 patent. I’m also having trouble connecting the pattern # 708 to aluminum paddles except on eBay. It, 708 was once a skillet. I by no means have all the resources, but can you direct me to more info about your set?

You did a great job cleaning. Too pretty to use?

Hilditch

Have to connect the dots in the BB but the part #'s are on page 322, 708 F & M under the Aluminum section. Actual description is on page 92 of BB but you need to substitute the 708 F & M where the 920 & 919 are listed.
Since the base is Cast Iron it could be matched with both the high and low base. Heck of a way to decipher but since they didn't make a specific base just for the aluminum paddles you can just pick the one that fits the paddles you have.
I have another set of aluminum paddles (not Griswold) that may be finished in a month or so if I'm lucky. Thanks for the comments and yes...it will most likely be a looker and not a user...

OK. Thank you. Just for fun Google "Griswold A708".

Hilditch

---------- Post added at 12:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

Now I see. They used the same patent date after a model change. I've got the newer model without the pins and with the large center star where you have the small center star. Mine are both 928 N's rather than the 920 & 919 style.

Hilditch

OK. Thank you. Just for fun Google "Griswold A708".

Hilditch

---------- Post added at 12:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

Now I see. They used the same patent date after a model change. I've got the newer model without the pins and with the large center star where you have the small center star. Mine are both 928 N's rather than the 920 & 919 style.

Hilditch

Did the Google....Very strange that the juicer comes up. What's even more weird the A708 doesn't even appear in the Griswold index under aluminum or cast iron. And...If you really want to get confused go to P 270, BB and check out Wagner's Fruit Juice Extractor. Tell me that doesn't look the same as the Griswold A708 in Google. If you do Google 708F the H/S waffle does appear and I might say the e-Bay listings sure have it a lot higher than our BB. Think I paid $58 for mine and another $62 for the base both purchased separately but married by me...what a love story....

I was referring to the W.I. with a smile. I was wondering if the pattern number situation came after the Wagner takeover. I don't have a juicer either.

Hilditch

It would appear that Griswold waffle irons with the possible exception of the hammered had been discontinued by the 1950s, long before the acquisition. There is no evidence of Wagner preserving or making use of Griswold p/ns on pieces produced from altered Griswold patterns.

Of the few Griswold aluminum juicers that have been seen recently, even on the least worn one it is unclear whether the p/n is A708 or A703; neither appears in the BB listing. Those numbers, however, are only that which the authors and Steve Stephens had seen. To date, there has been nothing to call the juicer's authenticity into question.

Back