Gate Marked 3 Footed #11 Skillet Find

ARJackson

I picked up this gate marked #11 skillet last night at a thrift store for $7.99. It's in excellent shape, very flat, smooth surface, no pitting, no rust, no evidence of grinding on the lip, bottom or feet.

What I'm super curious about is the 3 small feet. I can't for the life of me find any pictures of anything similar. From what I've read is that there was a time period between hearth spiders and full on heat rings that similar methods were used to avoid wobble from the gate and to keep the skillet centered on the stove holes.

Does anyone have any idea on the time period of this piece or even any evidence of something similar?

Once I get it stripped, I'll update you guys this with any additional markings I can find.

https://imgur.com/gallery/ilPnTmp

After some more extensive research I think I'm confident in saying this came out of Corning & Goewey Hollowware in Albany New York around the 1860s.

Old bottom gated pieces with no markings are not typically identifiable as to maker (as in 99.99% of the time). I would be interested in what information you found that leads you to that conclusion.

Overall very similar. Some small differences to make one wonder, e.g. pour lip on opposite side, reinforcement rib and handle shape/proportions. Could be chalked up to just being different sizes, #8 vs. #11. Or similar merely due to the style being prevalent during the period both were obviously made. I think we can be confident about the time period, but not so much about the maker unless we have a marked C&G #11 to compare side by side.

Back