• If a web search for the answer to your cast iron cookware question has brought you directly to this forum, the information you seek may be covered in one of the many reference topics featured on the main website.

Quick Links: · Main Website · How to Identify Unmarked Pans · All About Cleaning & Seasoning · Reproductions & Counterfeits · Commonly-Used Terms

• Threads in this Recipe File forum should begin with an actual, typed (by you) recipe including ingredients, quantities, and detailed instructions.
    If a recipe copied from another source, credit should be given to that source. Readers may feel free to reply with comments or ask questions about the recipe in the thread. If viewing a recipe makes you think of one you wish to share, please start a new thread with it. Requests for recipes or for cooking help, and postings about other cooking subjects should be made in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

Overnight Oatmeal

W. Hilditch

For two good servings get out your 1 qt. CI ceramic coated sauce pan, like Descoware. Before going to bed bring 2 1/3 cup water to a boil and add 1/2 cup steel cut oats (John McCann’s are good), cover and simmer for 4 or 5 minutes. Turn off and let sit overnight covered.

In the morning turn the burner back on simmer and stir once in a while. When it is hot and the right consistency add 1/4 tsp salt, 1 tsp sugar and 1/4 cup heavy cream. Give it a good stir for a minute or 2 and serve. This saves time and attention in the morning.

This also works great with grits, without the sugar and cream of course.

Hilditch

Never thought of cooking my steel cut oats--I usually put them in a pint mason jar, fill with milk & leave in the fridge overnight. I bet they taste good cooked. Thanks for the post!

Food Fact: Do you remember the line; “ Some like it in the pot nine days old.”? This was for real. In areas of North America where oats, wheat or corn were scarce, peas were used. Dried peas were used for porridge, and ground for bread and coating meats, not just pea soup.

An easy meal. Each night add some peas and water. Heat it up in the morning and serve. So many of the nursery rhymes are based on fact, Like ‘Ring Around the Rosy’.

I’m really glad we have access to oats, wheat and corn.

Hilditch

Has anyone made a porridge in a normally seasoned cast iron pot or bean pot and left it in for an extended period of time? Did the seasoning survive? Did the porridge pick up the iron flavor?

Or even left beans in a pot for 24 hours or more?

Hilditch

Has anyone made a porridge in a normally seasoned cast iron pot or bean pot and left it in for an extended period of time? Did the seasoning survive? Did the porridge pick up the iron flavor?

Or even left beans in a pot for 24 hours or more?

Hilditch

I've made it several times in my Lodge Combo Cooker, on the stovetop or in my Weber grill while camping. There was definitely a unique flavor to it...slightly metallic, but not terribly so. It was less pronounced at home, using filtered water. However, while camping, using locally sourced water of varying quality, the outcome was different. Alkaline water tends to lead to an unappetizing greenish film on top; this can be skimmed off, taking any off flavors with it.

For those who haven’t tried this recipe, here is a little background. Mabel Canavan from Ireland married a guy named Bill Hilditch from Wales. Bill couldn’t fry an egg but Mabel was good in the kitchen. Mabel, my grandmother, taught me about steel cut oats and overnight cooking of porridge in a double boiler.

Thirty years later Duncan Hilditch from Scotland came along with an award winning way to finish the oatmeal. Duncan didn’t do overnight, he put his time in at the pot, but he was good. Very good with a spurtle.

Duncan won the Golden Spurtle Award as the “World Porridge Making Champion” in 1996, 2000, 2001 and 2004. He was also the Speciality Porridge Recipe winner in 1996, 1998, 2002 and 2003. I think he got tired of oatmeal.

You may have noticed a spurtle among my tools in the Cooking Tools thread above. It and this recipe are thanks to Mabel and Duncan.

Hilditch

---------- Post added at 02:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 AM ----------

Additional Tips
Duncan’s ideal way to enjoy porridge… Wait for a grey, cold day in winter. Sit down with your porridge, sprinkle with some soft brown sugar, drizzle some double cream round it, put on a Phil Cunningham and Aly Bain tape and eat your porridge. For a short time at least you’ll think that you’re in heaven!

Hilditch

Thanks for the tip. I'm gonna try that with grits this spring. I have a thing for fried green tomatoes topped with blue cheese grits.

Back