Crappy plating

JustinR

So I have been working on a scotch bowl that I got for a decent price. After a little while in the electrolysis tank I found out that it had some very bad plating on it. It is very patchy. Is it possible to send off the remaining plating? I don't care how long it will take, I enjoy restoring things. Just didn't know if I was going about it the right way?

Although i appreciate your input, i would appreciate it more if you helped me with a solution. Had i known it was plated, it would of never went into the tank.

The voltages, temperature, etc. we use for cleaning CI won't remove plating that isn't already compromised and loose. The parts of it that are still intact will stay that way. Using mechanical means to take it off will also damage the iron underneath. A plating shop can remove it for you, but it may not be worth the cost unless you have a friend in the business.

Justin, if the plating is only on the outside of the bowl I would just season it and call it a day. Once you get it seasoned nice and dark you can't really even tell it was plated to begin with. If it was on the inside I would probably be tempted to take a sanding sponge to it.

Justin, if the plating is only on the outside of the bowl I would just season it and call it a day. Once you get it seasoned nice and dark you can't really even tell it was plated to begin with. If it was on the inside I would probably be tempted to take a sanding sponge to it.

Its only on yhe outside and quite patchy. I think ill try your solution! Ill update with pics soon. Thanks guys

Back