Favorite use for my #6

Nichole M

Light, buttery, and crispy on the outside. Smooth and gooey on the inside. It's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's a cast iron grilled cheese sandwich (with bacon)! I recently went to a restaurant where they were making gourmet grilled cheese with little cast iron skillets in their open kitchen. The next day I made my own at home. Now I'm addicted to the yum!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 90
Nichole, you make a serious cheese sandwich. I'm still stuck on American cheese. When I experiment it just doesn't seem right for some reason. Even bacon did't work for me but a BLT next to a grilled cheese is great. ??????

Hilditch

Nichole, you make a serious cheese sandwich. I'm still stuck on American cheese. When I experiment it just doesn't seem right for some reason. Even bacon did't work for me but a BLT next to a grilled cheese is great. ??????

Hilditch

There is nothing wrong with a good 'ol grilled American cheese sandwich. :icon_thumbsup: I make my sandwich as follows: bread in the pre-heated skillet (butter side down), cheese and cooked bacon next, final bread slice (butter side up) on top. Cover and cook 2-3 minutes (depending on crisp desired). Covering at this stage helps melt the cheese properly (says the cook from the restaurant). Turn over and cook uncovered 2-3 minutes. So good! My grandmother used to make hers under the broiler. That has never worked for me though. In the end whichever way tastes delicious for whomever is the way to do it. :glutton: Mmmmm, you've made me want a BLT for lunch today.

This post inspired a grilled cheese night for us. I learned that my Wagner c-8 glass lid pefectly tents my #9 griddle. I also experimented with clarified butter and found it makes a crispier crust.

For some reason I've never seemed to take to adding other ingredients and have always preferred the simplicity of a cheese only sandwich. We've been sticking to cheddar but American and gruyere also make mighty fine sandwiches and each has its place in the lineup. Havarti sonds interesting and may make it into my next grilled cheese night.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139658521@N07/shares/89xPo4

Grilled cheese is one of my favorite things to break in freshly seasoned CI with. I'm with Hilditch on the use of American cheese. If my American/any other cheese ratio drops below 50%, the melty, gooey center just isn't right.

Back