Cast Iron Novice

Hello, Jennifer here, from Niagara Region of Ontario, Canada. I am delighted to have become a member here.

I don't consider myself a collector so much as an appreciator of cast iron. I love to use it and prefer the vintage items because I really dislike the modern sand cast type finish on new ware. I have no particularly good reason for not liking the new stuff, it works well enough, I just don't like the stuff. It might be my age, at 62, all of my cast iron is from when I first married.

It was most fortunate I found this site when I did!! I have been in the process of cleaning and preparing to re-season my 2 favorite skillets and about to give up on oven cleaner after 4 days. I was just about to pop them into my self cleaning oven when I read to "Not do that", here. They are back under oven cleaner.

That's about it for me. Happy to be here. :)

Welcome Jennifer! I hope the pans are in a warm area in the bag. I know that it is cold up there now. I'm originally from northeastern Ohio.

Great information can be found here.

@GTurner , Thank You for the warm welcome.

I suspect they could be in a warmer place but they are near the boiler and only a couple of small spots left on the larger pan. I took the #8 out already, it was ready for neutralizing and scrubbing. It has been prepared and then coated in shortening. (I'll wash it before putting it in for the initial heat-up prior to seasoning.) I'm waiting for the second larger pan to be ready so I can do both at the same time.

Back