What Did I Do Wrong Here?

This little #8 is back under over cleaner to start over but why did the seasoning go weird? I was just recently stripped with oven cleaner. Thanks for any advise! The EXTERIOR of the pan came out BEAUTIFULLY! It was just the interior did not come off well.

xkLBo53.jpg

GlyR6cL.jpg

looks like you may have used too much of whatever oil you used...im guessing youll have to strip it again....im not sure....it happened to me once, and thats what i did....and welcome to the forums!

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

oh, and did you place the pan upside down?

Welcome to the forum Jennifer. Looks just like SeanD stated a little to much seasoning oil. No harm done if you are going to use it as a user for yourself. You could have re-coated it wiped it out and set it back into the oven for another hour.

Perfection comes at a price. Looks like you are trying to do just that.

Just remember after you wipe off the oil or what you are using, there should be no wet spots. That is because when the heat hits the metal the oil will be thinner than you applied it and it will run as seen in your photos.

Tip; sometimes you can apply your oil put the piece in the oven and take it out in 15 minutes and re-wipe the piece. Just because you cannot see the oil enough is on the piece.

Good Luck

@SeanD & @Jeffrey R. , Thank you both! I thought I had wiped it well before putting it in the oven. I will try the re-wipe after 15 minutes on the next run at it. It had 40 years of perfect seasoning prior to stripping. I want to get that perfection again. I stripped it because the exterior was lumpy and crusted. (Hubby's fault, not mine.)

It is now stripped again. I am waiting on the larger pan so I just rubbed it with shortening to hold off the rust until both are oven ready. Then I'll wash it before the initial 200° preheating. I am hopeful my second try will be as perfect as the exterior was on the first run. I'll let you know how it works out.

"Perfection comes at a price. Looks like you are trying to do just that." You would be correct about that! "...Be a labor great or small, do it well or not at all!", so my Granny used to say.

Back