Hammered lid DO

Of all the hammered ware, I prefer Lodge for its small dimpling and the CHF variation with the large, deep dimpling. Lodge:

IMAG0989.jpg

That is a really pretty pan. I determined, based on one of your previous post identifying a pot like mine that it was lodge. Like the one you identified and the one on ebay mine too does not have a hammered base. The lid fits perfectly so I wonder why there are so many pieces coupled together if they didn't come that way? I saw my first Flop Griddle yesterday and until that very moment I had no idea I needed one. ;) He was asking $110 for it and that seemed pretty crazy until I searched ebay for the same.

---------- Post added at 07:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 AM ----------

On a side note: The vintage kitchen lover in me has to ask, is that a mid century modern Formica table with metal legs the pan is sitting on?

I had a chicago hammered chicken fryer. It was nice but I needed to narrow my collection field. So now I collect any pre 1900 no names, wagner, martin , and pique ware. And on a side note. I believe if the the chairs originally went with the table it is from the 1980s. Lol

I don't think they are the right chairs. I am thinking avocado and gold tone high back padded metal chairs. You know the ones...the pleather feels kind of lumpy?
:confused:

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

Now back to cast iron. I blame the California condor for my inability to find reasonably priced vintage cast iron. I believe the introductions of new laws restricting the use of lead bullets has given birth to a cottage industry of back yard bullet makers. I think these cowboys are buying all the good skillets to melt their lead in. I realize it's not wise to pick a fight with a bird who has a nine foot wingspan but I have gone and done it. My only hope is to prepare a bucket of window wash and a squeegee in anticipation of their retaliatory actions. I believe the attached link helps validate my theory.

http://tucson.craigslist.org/tls/4878555367.html

Interesting theory... but I would blame the spread of "Doomsday Preppers" culture before I would blame the Condors. I don't live anywhere near the geographical range of CA Condors, nor do I live where there are any restrictions on lead, and there are still plenty of people making bullets and loading their own ammunition... I actually suspect more of that goes on in the South than other regions. I am a wildlife biologist and it's my job to try and make peace between people and wildlife. ;)

All of that being said, the melting point of lead is 621.5°F... so if you can heat a piece of cast iron above that (i.e. in a self-cleaning oven) then you could in theory get all of the lead out. It's just chemistry. When people hear "lead" there's always a big freak out, but lead has been part of our plumbing and water supply for a very long time... and if you live in an older home or an older part of a city, you are highly likely have some source of lead in your water supply... and there's not much you can do about it. A skillet on the other hand could be made lead free. I'm just saying... I wouldn't write off a really special piece of cast iron just because of concerns about lead. I'd get it cheap, get it hot enough, clean the heck out of it, and then test it for lead... and I bet it would be just fine. I'm a rebel... I know... but I also have science on my side.

Jay, I think you are correct about the doomsday preppers. In the event of the zombie apocolypse I think our cast iron hoards might even be considered a form of currency. lol. You have convinced me to call off my fued with the condor. However, I still have a bone to pick with the spotted owl.

I know people who cast lead bullets, and all their CI comes from Harbor Freight. Usually, people who cast also appreciate CI and would never think of using a good piece for that purpose. Seems to me that the electrolysis method of removing rust would also loosen lead--don't know, just a hunch. I know that Evapo-rust will take off bluing and Parkerizing from gun parts.

Back