Need Info on a Wapak Kettle with Brass/bronze Plating??

JCasey

I purchased a Wapak kettle at the flea market. The bottom and inside are cast iron, but the outside of the kettle appears to be plated with brass/bronze, etc. I know Wapak used some nickel plating, but this doesn't appear to be nickel (however, I may be very wrong).

Any information is appreciated. I'm stumped.

https://imgur.com/a/82rd587

Welcome the the Forums! Glad too have you on board. I have no info on the Wapak Tho. I collect Wapak, and I have never seen a brass plated anything from them. Somone on here will chime in with more info than I have.

The piece you have posted appears to be what's called a "Maslin Kettle" made by Wapak around 1903-1926 era. My reference book does not show that Wapak made this kettle using nickel plating so I'll go out on a limb and say it's probably the standard iron kettle that someone has used some sort of chemical on to possibly try and clean it. The pitting on the bottom was caused by a coal stove and or wood stove, The Sulphur in coal will deteriorate the cast iron thus leaving pitting. If you have an electrolysis set-up you will most likely remove most of the stains and rust but the pitting is there forever.
Good luck with your cleaning.

I appreciate the insight MDFraley. However, I don't believe the outer appearance is the result of a cleaning chemical.

I cleaned the outside of the pot with some ketchup--and old trick to shine brass--and it has restored its luster. I've included a few more photos.

I'm still convinced the piece has been brass-plated, although I can't find ANY example of Wapak doing that. Perhaps it was brass-plated by an owner at some point.

I still welcome any and all perspectives. It's really baffling.

https://imgur.com/a/wAYQQvb

IMG_1637.jpg

IMG_1638.jpg

IMG_1639.jpg

Ketchup also has the same effect on copper (which appears to me like in your latest photo's) instead of brass. No expert on copper cladding but I would guess copper and not brass. Copper would be a better conductivity of heat more so than brass. I still find no records of Wapak using such process on their cookware but who knows??? Maybe someone wanted to experiment with copper cladding and chose that particular piece because of the extensive pitting on the bottom.
Sorry. Can't authenticate your piece but possibly someone will chime in and solve your mystery piece.

Back