What Did I Just Buy?

MatthewCGraham

Was at a flea market today and came across this pan/pot.

https://imgur.com/a/tOUaxs9

Got it for cheep because neither the seller nor I had any clue what it is. The pan is 14" wide, 9" deep, and 31" long including both handles. Body seems to be steel, despite the seller insisting it was cast iron. Both handles are cast iron and are riveted to the body. There are no apparent markings anywhere on the pan, though maybe after a lye bath and scrub some will appear from under the rust and grime. Anyone have any idea what this is, how old it is, and/or who made it? Thank you all!
MCG

It's definitely not a cast iron pot. It is a very large pot though. I'd try to clean it up and see how well it cooks.

I think it is aluminum,lye will dissolve it,if is not aluminum it is copper,I seen a copper pot exactly like your today at flea market,I have no idea age or maker

At a glance I thought it was copper, too - it looks quite similar to my copper pots and pans. However, my fridge magnets do stick to the side, so pretty sure it's steel. Too bad, if I found a 5 gallon copper pot I would have hit the jackpot!
MCG

I would think it is Carbon Steel cookware, often times there will be small makers or country of origin marks on the handle somewhere.

Just a guess but think it may be a commercial type pan simply due to its size. I run across them occasionally and most have no I.D. printed on them. The loop handle opposite the lifting handle might suggest it was used to secure the pan to the cook stove from possibly sliding off. Those type pans are usually associated to cookware found on ships/trains.

Like I said....just a hunch.

Back