Finding lye

I found that in Lowes today, too. $7-something for 2 lbs. Except that I do not want 2 lbs, nor do I want to weigh that stuff to get 1 lb. I'll be going to Ace tomorrow for a 1 lb tin of their stuff.

Just under 2 cups for a pound of lye by my scale.

You won't have much of a bath with 4 or 5 gallons of water, better to double it for more cubic feet of cleaning space. I run water to lye 4 gallons to 1 pound and use a large rubbermaid container - even then it won't handle larger pieces.

Re: Finding lye: ALERT!

Interesting with the discussions of where folks get their lye. Last week, I ordered some from Thrasher Hydroponics on Amazon. A tracking number was generated and I waited..Looked into it and found that no one is getting their orders from this company and there's an alert out as to this fact.

On the positive side, the Essential Depot company that Jeffrey mentioned is selling 2 lb bottles for $4.00, which they're saying is half their regular price.

Hope everyone is enjoying their version of late summer: we're at 36 degrees in mid-Maine this morning. How invigorating!

Interesting with the discussions of where folks get their lye. Last week, I ordered some from Thrasher Hydroponics on Amazon. A tracking number was generated and I waited..Looked into it and found that no one is getting their orders from this company and there's an alert out as to this fact.

On the positive side, the Essential Depot company that Jeffrey mentioned is selling 2 lb bottles for $4.00, which they're saying is half their regular price.

Hope everyone is enjoying their version of late summer: we're at 36 degrees in mid-Maine this morning. How invigorating!
Thanks for the tip on the Thrasher company! Good to know. They're probably all lying around, smoking the product of their hydroponics.

Hi Mike, You be hiding in the blue berry patch? 26 degrees this AM in northern VT You ready for the snow?

The lye that I get from Essential Depot company, is food grade. I have placed 2 large orders with them, with no issues. Shipped all in 2lb. plastic containers, not zip-lock bags. Dealing with a real company is by far safer when dealing with Hazardous Materials.

RickC, I do not think that the USPS would like to know that someone is shipping lye in the mail.:eek:

Last week, I ordered some from Thrasher Hydroponics on Amazon. A tracking number was generated and I waited..Looked into it and found that no one is getting their orders from this company and there's an alert out as to this fact.

Which is weird.. That's the Ziplock bag company I ordered mine from. Came super fast, and I've used it successfully to strip about 25+ pieces so far.

Like I said, I will be ordering from Essential Depot next time though. Shipping baggies of lye through the USPS is a little sketchy. :roll:

I just set up my very first lye tank today. Went to Ace Hardware and got a bottle of Rooto Drain Cleaner -- 1 lb. $3.99. 100% lye. Says it right on the label. (plus HD gloves, wire brush, I already had safety glasses, and a lid for my 5 gal container to keep safe).
Just follow directions on this site to be safe.

I just set up my very first lye tank today. Went to Ace Hardware and got a bottle of Rooto Drain Cleaner -- 1 lb. $3.99. 100% lye. Says it right on the label. (plus HD gloves, wire brush, I already had safety glasses, and a lid for my 5 gal container to keep safe).
Just follow directions on this site to be safe.

Rember to add the lye to the water, not water to the lye.

Hope your wire brush is not brass, as it will transfer onto your cast iron. One should use a Stainless Steel brush, as a steel wire brush will rust.

Be safe.

Rember to add the lye to the water, not water to the lye.

Hope your wire brush is not brass, as it will transfer onto your cast iron. One should use a Stainless Steel brush, as a steel wire brush will rust.

Be safe.

And most "brass" wire brushes are actually brass-plated steel. Use a magnet to check.

Back to what I wrote, no brass.:eek:
Back to what I wrote: most "brass" is not really brass. Looks like brass, and the label will say its brass. Take a magnet.

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

Likewise with those "copper" scrub pads. Copper plate over steel.

Back