Requesting Book Suggestion to ID Griswold

SJ O'Kane

Newly cast member of the CIC forum, recently bitten by the cast iron bug, my first-ever post.

I purchased four of what I hope are genuine Griswold skillets last weekend. They are labeled #5, 6, 8, and 9. The 6, 8, and 9 all have the Erie, PA designation, the 5 either doesn't have it or it is worn away (the 5 also has a much smaller logo than the others). One other (I thought) strange characteristic is that the #8 seems heavier/thicker than the #9. I THINK they are genuine because I did have the opportunity to handle one of the fake small corn bread pans on another occasion which was grey/grainy as expected.

Anyway...I want to learn to ID my new pans and am requesting suggestions on a book or books to purchase (and/or other methodologies). Right now I am only interested in Griswold but I don't know if that trend will continue. Is there a book that specifically covers only Griswold? Or am I better served over the long haul to buy the red/blue books I've seen on Amazon as suggested on the Wagner and Griswold Society site?

Also...if I DO purchase a book or books...is it virtually guaranteed that I will be able to identify the model, year, etc. of my purchases (assuming they are real) or is there still a "black art" aspect to identification that will have to take place?

Thanks very much for any help...
Sam

This may help in the short term: http://www.castironcollector.com/griswoldskillets.php at least to give you a perspective on timeline. Periods of manufacture for the various Griswold TMs have overlap, so there will always be some question. Dated ads and catalogs unfortunately don't show skillet bottoms.

The advice usually given if you want to start with one book is to get the "blue book" Book of Griswold & Wagner.

Thank you Doug for the prompt and helpful reply.

I will begin my journey with the link you provided (so grateful people take the time to share their knowledge in such accessible fashion) and have ordered the Blue Book (thanks for helping me avoid the urge to purchase both right off the bat).

I'm really excited about learning more about this subject and will likely have further questions about these specific skillets. I will also reply back on this thread with feedback on this subject for other beginners if I come up with anything that seems useful (gotta give back to the community).

Cheers from North Carolina!

Adam...I expect you're right on the mark.

As a COMPLETE beginner (literally, I bought these with exactly zero knowledge of their actual worth) and in hindsight think I probably paid too much.

I had been trying to buy a single skillet from a private collector with no luck...then walked down the street and found these four in a retail shop. Paid $120 for the lot (probably could have gotten for $110). My thinking was "you've been wanting to get your collection started...there are four of them here...go ahead and buy them".

In the interest of my own and other's education...I will post pictures of all four on this thread so the group can perhaps judge their actual worth.

Sam

#5. Sits flat, very smooth inside and out. Paid $30.
griswold5.jpg

#6. Sits flat, also in pretty good shape inside and out. Paid $25.
griswold6.jpg

#8. The roughest of the bunch, slight left/right rock (which didn't know I should have checked for), heavy pitting on outside of left/right sides and lettering, inside of pan looks pretty smooth but gunky/hidden. Also this skillet is/seems much heavier and slightly "thicker" than all the others (easily weighs as much as the #9 if not more). Paid $25.
griswold8.jpg

#9. Very slight left/right rock. Lettering and inside/out in pretty good shape. Paid $40.
(Looks like I can only upload 3 images so the #9 picture will have to wait)

Those prices aren't terrible. I often see 8's & 9's for the price you paid for everything. I'm excited when I see Griswold under $100

Back