#11 Dutch Oven is all dressed up with no where to go

NLevine

The best find of my short career is now all cleaned up and ready for use. Very excited to find out the iron underneath all the gunk isn't too damaged. There's some very light pitting on the bottom but all the markings are still very legible. The cooking surface is flawless and it sits flat as a pancake. I plan on keeping this baby in the living room so i can admire it all day, every day :biggrin:

For it's first meal, I'll start with a few rounds of REAL BACON (no water, no sugar) then i'll give popcorn a go (never made it before, other than in a microwave). After that, I might try to do a whole chicken or small turkey....maybe a ham? Anyway, I'm pretty darn excited!!!

Attachments

• DO best.jpg
    DO best.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 104
  • DO back.jpg
    DO back.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 93
  • DO stairs.jpg
    DO stairs.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 96
Congrats! Nice. For the popcorn put about 1/3 cup of kernels in a small cup. Add a tbsp’ish of oil & stir to coat kernels. Add to preheated pot. By coating the kernels you don’t need to shake the pot.

Hilditch

"Excited " !? I would say so ! What a find and in such great condition .

That's a great piece and it SHOULD be out where it can be admired .

Excellent Score and hard to top. That would be a dream find for me in any size, and I'm still looking woodwork find.

Excellent job of reconditioning a nice DO--definitely a living room item in my opinion! Even though we may be a bit envious, it surely is nice to see such a fine set redone so well. Pat yourself on the back for me, okay?

Congrats! Nice. For the popcorn put about 1/3 cup of kernels in a small cup. Add a tbsp’ish of oil & stir to coat kernels. Add to preheated pot. By coating the kernels you don’t need to shake the pot.

Hilditch

Does the not needing to shake the pot part include after the kernels have begun popping? I have a 3 legged kettle and a couple of #4 scotch bowls that would really benefit from this.

No shaking required at all. Just dump & cover like you would with a 20 gallon cauldron. The popcorn takes care of the rest.

Hilditch

I never find dutch ovens that are larger or smaller than No.8's around here. Then over the course of two weeks I found a No.10 Griswold with lid, and No.8 :roll: arc logo Lodge and a No,9 arc logo Wagner.

Here's the little Brother to yours..

Griswold-835-2553-DO-Set-Tag010-Bottom,medium_large.1485806302.jpg

Griswold-835-2553-DO-Set-Tag010-Top,medium_large.1485806305.jpg

Looks like a fine pan, Rick. I'm happy you found it. Now I know these guys are out there somewhere... Yes, I'll keep looking! Thanks to both you and Donna for sharing your finds.

Now I'm blown away. I thought trivets were to protect the table from being burned by a hot dutch oven....

You are correct, however you're referring to different trivets. The trivets that go inside dutch ovens or oval roasters are to prevent food (meat) from sticking. The other trivets (search on Ebay for griswold trivets) are meant to protect your counter/table from being burned.

Now I'm blown away. I thought trivets were to protect the table from being burned by a hot dutch oven....
Two types. The one that holds the food off the direct heat in the dutch oven. The other that comes in hundreds of styles; that holds a hot pot, skillet, or pan off of a surface. Finding a matching cooking trivet can be as elusive as matching a spider skillet with a working lid.

I have one for my Iron Mountain #8 that is more or less the same as the one pictured. Never realized it could be used inside the oven. Learned something new today.

Back