Waffle Iron Seasoning

MDFraley

It's taken me about a year to get the art of seasoning skillets to a perfection. I just want to know if there is a secret on how to season a waffle iron in such a manor as to not have too much oil in the valley and peaks of the cooking surface? Seems like no matter what I have tried they seem to come out to heavy and a bit sticky using the same method as I use for skillets. I have been using grape seed oil and have been very satisfied with it on flat surfaces. I use a tooth brush with minimal amount of oil and try to spread it to as many places as possible. I then turn it upside down on a paper plate and let it set for about an hour and then use a cotton wash cloth to remove as much remaining oil as possible.
My next thought was to take my air compressor using 125psi to remove anything that the cloth may have missed but I don't think that's how you experts do it.
Any tips appreciated.

For use, display or flip?

Hilditch

Would love to be able to use. I have a E.C. Simmons "Keen Kutter" that has the most unique pattern to it and a G.F. Filley Pat. Sep. 7 1880 that has a neat pattern as well. I want to give to my daughters for the grand kids but I want them to be functional "not to stick" and somewhat easy to care for.

Guess I should have been more definitive in my quest for successful seasoning of the waffle irons. I am adding a couple of pictures of the two irons I am having most trouble with. I am sure there are many more unique patterns out there than what these are but the question still remains on how to best season these types of patterns?

Attachments

• PC090151.jpg
    PC090151.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 38
  • PC090154.jpg
    PC090154.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 39
Compressed air is a technique I have heard of being used before. One must be careful, however, if using a canned office equipment duster. Extended use and agitation of the can will result in an extremely cold air stream, not advisable on hot iron.

I would try just using it. Spray with PAM or other cooking oil spray, and be willing to waste a little waffle batter. The results may not be pretty to start, but should at least be edible.

Wrapping the terry towel over stiff cardboard or a popsicle stick is also something I've used.

As you are dealing with a few, multiple uses (read 10 to 20 batches) of each is not a good solution. I don’t believe the final results you are wishing for are going to happen, so some compromise is appropriate.

The high smoking point of grape seed oil is creating most of the problem. Without additional oil a few rounds in a 500° oven should take the stickiness away. They will become nonstick and smooth after many uses with oil and butter.

For your next one I would use canola oil, bake at 475° and not worry about some thick spots. They will take care of themselves with use when & if that happens and most won’t notice anything wrong.

Hilditch

One my first pieces was a WI. I used a paint brush. One of the paddles was a little/clumpy/sticky when it was done, but not too bad. After several uses, the imperfections disappeared and I can not tell which paddle had the problem.

I would say, make some waffles and enjoy.

Back