Cooking outside

W. Hilditch

We all know that food really does taste better when cooked in CI. I don’t know why but it’s best when cooked outside. It starts in the morning when you smell the coffee percolating downwind and peaks when you smell the bacon cooking in that CI skillet. Almost anything else gets a ‘9’ that gets in that skillet all day long.

Today the opportunity for outdoor cooking seems to happen best if one goes camping. As a cast iron lover you probably have a good appreciation for yesterday and cooking on a $3,000 SS patio grill may not fit the image of a Griswold.

If you have been thinking of camping, you may want to check this out. Yesterday; with a touch of comfort and class. It’s time, our rig is for sale.
http://www.campinnforum.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=33420#Post33420

Hilditch

That's a cool set up you have there Hilditch. If we are not camping, I can cook in the back yard fire pit.
2015-6-20%20cast%20iron%20029.jpg

12012014%20017.jpg

2015-6-5%20Cast%20iron%20011.jpg

Thanks Rick. We did build it ourselves, my wife and I. We have had the pit done for 2 years and still haven't made the sitting wall, or patio around the pit. Maybe this fall.
2015-6-5%20Cast%20iron%20005.jpg

Impressive. Would love to build one myself to cook on with the old cast iron.

Nah.............big old cauldron/wash pot that was left here in the yard when I bought the place 10 years ago. Had a damned hole drilled in it to make a planter out of it. I thought it would make a much better fire pot.

I like it better as a fire pot too.
I like your pit Kevin. Looks like it works great for cooking on.

We weren't cooking much outside when we built our pit. Mines to tall and not big enough around. I would like to redo it but my wife said NO.

A hard decision between here or the go-with post. I came across this pic of a tool used in Argentina to assist the cook doing barbecue cooking, preferably on a CI grate, like I use. I thought it was absolutely beautiful!

This could be useful for any outdoor cooking with or without a CI skillet or pot. Was it a peel, shovel or dustpan? No, it is an Assado Plato. A Barbecue Platter.

They are readily available in many shapes and sizes down in Argentina but I could not find a likeness here in the US. So here you have to make your own. The wood for mine is on order.

Hilditch

Back