Griswold heaven?

JaredS

So I was out today and a local antique store owner sent me over the mountain to a shop I had never been to before. The fella there was in his 80s and his store was an absolute mess, things laying around everywhere. But the magic was that there must have been $20,000 of Griswold (conservatively; probably twice that realistically) in the place. Some highlights:

#13 LBL with heat ring and lid (didn't see which lid, they were scattered around, he just told me he had one).

Multiple 14s with multiple fully marked lids.

#4 LBL with heat ring and matching high dome lid

pretty much every other skillet Gris made. Only thing I didn't see was a small block 10 with groove handle.

Absolute highlight was a 638 No. 27 wheat stick pan which was mint and the sexiest piece of cast iron I have ever seen. That one immediately moved up my grail list, but I think he wanted $300 for it.

I'm going back in a few days; it seems he's mostly selling at just above (10-20% maybe?) BB value for most things, so if anyone has a request to see something, I'd be willing to ask!

That's what I see at local antique malls. They run 10-20% over real retail. People see a price on Ebay or wherever and think they have gold. Jack up the price and try to sell it. I admire the pieces, but keep walking. Maybe they will find a sucker that just (for whatever reason) has to have that piece. I'm not to that point in life, just now. Same thing on Ebay-- people bid on dumb stuff and let good stuff slide. I suppose it's just human nature.:?:

Honestly I was so flabbergasted by the place that I didn't think to pull out the camera. BTW, he had a second series No 8 Erie with star maker's mark that I almost bought at $50, though I didn't have cash on me. That's the main reason I am going back; you guys think thats a good price on that piece? Good shape, no warps, chips, cracks etc. Well, minimal warp. I've never seen an Erie without at least a tiny bit of cupping in the cooking surface.

$50 doesn't sound too bad. I spent today looking at the likes of heavily pitted slant EPUs for $100... :roll:. I would have taken that Erie as a therapeutic purchase!

Would have enjoyed seeing that collection... even if it isn't at bargain prices.

You mentioned that you were sent "over the mountain"... which begs the question... where are you located?

"Over the mountain" is a phrase very much a part of Birmingham, AL. Suburbs south of the city proper are referred to as "over the mountain." The mountain in question is Red Mountain... as in BSR "Red Mountain" series. There is even a local newspaper called the "Over The Mountain Journal" which covers news in the suburbs to the south of B'ham.

I'm in southwest Virginia. I live on side of the Blue Ridge mountains, and the shop was the other side.

You live in a beautiful part of the world, my friend.

Here in the B'ham area we are at the tail end of Appalachia... the southern terminus of the Ridge & Valley physiographic province... so I get a little bit of that Southern Appalachian splendor here, but not nearly as much as where you are.

Somehow I'm not surprised that CI heaven exists somewhere in the Blue Ridge. ;)

Hello United Airlines,

Yes, this is RickC, I'd like to purchase a ticket for a morning flight to "just the other side of the Blue Ridge Mountains". Yes, I'll hold... *Gets out credit card*
=================
TSA: "You do know sir that carrying this much cash makes you look suspicious"
=================
Uhaul Guy: "Sir, I don't think that this truck can handle that much weight." "Maybe you need to rent a big rig & trailer."

:p

Back