• If a web search for the answer to your cast iron cookware question has brought you directly to this forum, the information you seek may be covered in one of the many reference topics featured on the main website.

Quick Links: · Main Website · How to Identify Unmarked Pans · All About Cleaning & Seasoning · Reproductions & Counterfeits · Commonly-Used Terms

• Threads in this Recipe File forum should begin with an actual, typed (by you) recipe including ingredients, quantities, and detailed instructions.
    If a recipe copied from another source, credit should be given to that source. Readers may feel free to reply with comments or ask questions about the recipe in the thread. If viewing a recipe makes you think of one you wish to share, please start a new thread with it. Requests for recipes or for cooking help, and postings about other cooking subjects should be made in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

Rosewater Strawberry Skillet Cake

Dan B

https://imgur.com/a/bFiqvCw

Enjoyed this absolutely delicious cake last night... served right from the pan. (In our case we used vanilla and yogurt as substitutes)

INGREDIENTS
• 16-18 large strawberries, hulled and halved
• 1 cup white all-purpose flour
• 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/3 cup unsalted butter + extra to grease your cast iron skillet + 1 tablespoon melted butter to brush over strawberries and batter
• 1 cup grams granulated sugar
• 1 cup full fat sour cream + more, for serving a few dollops with the cake (substitute with full-fat Greek yogurt)
• 1 egg
• 1 tablespoon rosewater (substitute with 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence)
• Confectioner’s sugar, for dusting

DIRECTIONS
1. Pre-heat oven to 350F.
2. Generously butter your cast iron skillet (we used a No 7 Griswold, 10”)
3. Place flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and whisk together.
4. Place butter and sugar in a separate bowl (if using a hand mixer) or in a standmixer and cream on medium speed, till light and fluffy.
5. Add sour cream, egg, rosewater and continue to mix till the batter appears creamy.
6. Turn the mixer speed to low and add dry ingredients – flour, salt and baking powder, in batches. Scrape down the sides. Do not over mix.
7. The batter will be thick. Transfer into skillet and smooth the top with an offset spatula. Arrange strawberries, cut side down, in a circular pattern on top.
8. Brush strawberries and batter with melted butter.
9. Place in oven for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean, and the cake starts to pull in from the sides of the skillet.
10. When cake (and skillet) has cooled, dust generously with confectioner’s sugar and serve slices directly from the skillet. Enjoy with sour cream on the side.

Hey BarryL, we had the same issue and substituted vanilla extract for the rosewater (as the recipe identifies as an option). Apparently, rosewater is available in the international section of grocery stores.

Thanks for the reply. I will check the international section. The last time I looked in that section all I noticed was Mexican, and Chinese stuff.

Definition:

rose wa·ter

noun

water scented with rose petals, used as a perfume and for culinary purposes, and formerly in medicinal preparations.

You might find it in a health food store also.

Rosewater - A flavoured water made by steeping rose petals in water, rosewater has been used as a flavouring for centuries in Middle Eastern, Indian and Chinese cuisines. It can be added to jellies and syrups, and it is often sprinkled over cakes and milky puddings such as kheer (Indian rice pudding).

I'm not sure that the rosewater used as a perfume is suitable for cooking.

Here are links to a few places it can be purchased at:

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/cortas-rose-water/6000196236763

https://www.amazon.com/Cortas-Combo-Pack-Blossom-Bottles/dp/B00AWC1M8U

Thanks for the info. I am a country boy that cooks southern country dishes. I don't know much about the fancy stuff. Sadly I don't get to do much cooking as I used to because I am having to work 2nd shift so I can take my disabled wife to the Dr. regularly.

If you have a rose bush you can make your own rose water. Just pick petals and steep them in warm water, then strain. Bit tedious to pick all those petals and a lot are needed. Rose water is longer on aroma than flavor unlike vanilla which is the other way around.

I came across a recipe like this cake on the web. It used blue berries and ricotta cheese. made it in a big CI skillet and it was excellent. As with this one, served warm out of the skillet.

Back