Unmarked Cast Iron

At a quick glance, it looks like a Lodge from the 1930s. The number is in the right place for Lodge, as is the molders mark (6 o'clock). The handle is quite like Lodge for the period as well. What appears "off" is there doesn't seem to be any notch or notches in the heat ring, at least none that are evident in the photo. Is there a notch at 12 o'clock in the heat ring?

Earlier Lodges had no notches in the heat ring. Then one at 12 o'clock, and later three at 9/12/3. Other possibilities could be that this was an early unmarked piece produced for a secondary market at the same time period the no-notch, trademarked Lodges were being made, or perhaps a transitional design when Lodge first decided to produce everything unmarked. In the red book, the example of a no-notch Lodge has a somewhat faint logo and the size number is closer to the center. The other regularly seen domestic unmarked skillets with unbroken inset heat rings are BSR and Iron Mountain, but the markings and characteristics of this one are definitely not BSR or IM.

Looks Lodge to me.Anything is possible with Lodge.I have a single notch size 8 with the raised molders mark and no size #. Recently had a one notch # 3 with the 3 backwards and the notch at 7 oclock.

If you look at old iron long enough, you'll come across all kinds of exceptions to the norm. Last year I saw a deep slant logo Griswold skillet on eBay that had an outside heat ring, essentially a deep Erie with a slant logo. It sold for around $100, IIRC. I thought I grabbed a photo, but cannot find it, and it's now too old to show up in completed listings.

Back