Strong Storage Ideas

RTonerII

I have a lot of cast iron. I used to store it in the oven but it just does not take care of it all, it even bent the racks lol.

I am looking for some ideas on how to store it. I don't have any cabinets that will hold the weight so I am trying to maybe find a metal rack shelf system that would hold the weight and also look nice in the dinning room or kitchen.

Does anyone have a good idea how to deal with this? I had to put it in boxes to get it out of the way for now, so I don't get it use it as much as I would like to.

Thanks,
Rick

A baker's rack is a typical choice, as it tends to be more acceptable decor-wise than other more utilitarian options.

Pound-for-pound best for non-wall hanging storage are metro racks. The individual shelves can take a lot of weight, and the closely spaced bars allow for high-density hanging using S-hooks. I have a tower style unit in a kitchen corner to store appliances like a stand mixer and several dutch ovens, and can hang quite a few gem pans at the edges of the sides near the walls.

Other ideas: http://www.castironcollector.com/maintenance.php#store

http://www.castironcollector.com/amazon.php#Storage & Display

It turns out that the "metro racks" that Doug mentioned is exactly what I acquired a few weeks ago, used. I used the 6' tall by 4' by 18" 6 tier shelf unit to display my antique typewriter collection; 18 fit nicely on the one unit. But, as I was erecting the shelves I did think that they would be good for iron cookware. I used to have several double sided, three or four tiered hardware steel shelving that worked great for around 4-500 pieces of my collection.

Thanks Doug and Steve.
Do you think you could take a picture of what you did? I guess I can't picture how it will handle it all.

I'm trusting that we won't have an earthquake here just north of San francisco. I do have to of my 6' tall shelves with old fans on them set at right angles and bolted together in several places to help keep them upright just in case. I do need to do some earthquake proofing I know.

I like the tower unit (RE brand from Target) in my photo because, to my surprise, it came with sufficient hardware to make two separate, shorter units if desired. Nothing, however, to secure it to a wall. The instructions caution against tipping hazard and advise putting heavier items on lower shelves. A tall DVD storage cabinet I have, though, came with a length of 1" wide cotton braid and screws with instructions on using them to secure the unit to the wall. Something similar could be used for the metro racks. Hopefully, the wall in whatever the desired location is has a stud convenient to anchor to.

Back