Would an Erie have a gatemark?

KenK

It's in the vinegar bath now along with what could be another Blacklock skillet but after pulling it out of the lye bath there's an Erie impression on the top that's pretty distinct handle though is not ribbed like an Erie so just wondering what I might have

Last edited:
that's what I was thinking as well The quality is also really not up to Griswold standards as well not a bad pan as it's pretty lightweight so this actually may become an every day user I'll post pics after I've gotten a seasoning on it

it cleaned up nice kind of disappointed in it being a knock off but what can you do

Attachments

• bottom gate.jpg
    bottom gate.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 92
  • top gate.jpg
    top gate.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 70
Does it make me odd that I find the knockoffs sometimes more interesting than the originals?

I've got a large "Eagle Stove Works" No. 12 skillet that you can clearly see the Griswold markings under the gate mark. Pretty bad casting, but nice large Eagle Stove Works printed around the edge. I think it has character. :redface:

I'm a new member to this forum and just happen to have the same exact model you have. The gate mark is in the same position and I believe our skillets may have come from the same place and time period. Would like to compare notes as I believe our skillets are antiques and in my particular case the skillet interior is ultra smooth (overlooking the pitting). There appear to be some casting flaws on mine and makes me wonder why someone would polish up a skillet with casting flaws. It's not worth much other than a skillet to use, but an interesting piece if it happens to have come from a small foundry that made knock offs before they went out of business. Sure would like to know more and have more pictures, dimensions and weights if anyone is interested.

Unfortunately, the OP hasn't visited the forum in about a year. I would attribute the smoothness of an old recast to the finer molding sand and other mold dressings typically used long ago.

Back