Favorite Utensils?

Steve J.

Curious if the folks on this board have preferred utensils (spatulas, spoons, etc), to use with cast iron skillets and pots? I have read different views on the danger of metal spatulas on cast iron damaging the seasoning. Metal? Plastic? Wood? silicone? Any specific recommendations?

I have heard that also and I have seen utensil marks on cooking surfaces. I use wooden spoons and spatulas but coated metal ones probably would be just as good.

I have always used an old metal spatula on my skillets with no problems. I don't use a knife to cut anything in the pan. The spatula seems to smooth out the surface if anything.

We had one of these c.1950s-60s Ecko stainless steel spatulas in the late 50s. Best spatula ever made I think and I found two of them some years ago and treat them with care (no dishwasher which I don't have anyway) so they will last forever. These days they may be hard to find but garages sales might turn one up.

Attachments

• $T2eC16RHJHkFFmMnN9gOBRtz-+Pogw~~60_57.jpg
    $T2eC16RHJHkFFmMnN9gOBRtz-+Pogw~~60_57.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Ecko spatula.jpg
    Ecko spatula.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 48
I do actually look for these at flea markets,etc. The hard rubber bowling ball handle, the straight leading edge business end, and the rounded off corners make it perfect for cast iron.

Two months ago or so I was in Creston Iowa on some business and spotted a second hand store and that's something this old junker can't pass up and while looking around for cast iron pans I noticed a set of Ecko wood handle spatulas the red handle ones with a white ring around them. One is a short handled one and the other is the longer handled one for 2.00 each in like new shape and I purchased them and they are the Bomb. Not the stainless steel ones but regular steel with the rounded corners. So as long as I hand wash them and dry good they should outlast this old Coot. John S.:chuckle:

I have a couple Dexter-Russel spatulas, and they are awesome. The one I use most is the 4"x2.5" model. I have the 5" one also, but it's a little too big for regular sized skillets.

I use stainless steel spatula with rounded corners for use in all my cast iron skillets. Keeps the skillet bottom smooth. I also use wood spoons for stirring etc.

Back