I almost had a heart attack today when I saw this ERIE ...

SpurgeonH

I was on my way home today, taking back roads, and saw an antique store I had not seen before. The nice lady at the counter told me there was a section in the back where they had alot of cast iron skillets. I walk back there and this is the first thing I see ...

mijdTWR.jpg

First time I've seen one in person ... with trembling hands, I reach out and turn the tag around ...

p4ABlJY.jpg

On sale for $20!!!! Holy moly!!!! It's my lucky day!!! Woohoo!!! Somebody is selling a Griswold ERIE "skillit" for $20!!!! .... and then, as I take it off the hook, I notice the "as is" disclaimer ... closer look at the base of the handle ... it's cracked. In fact, it was worse than it looks in the picture. From the inside of the pan you could see cracks on both sides of the handle, as if somebody had peeled it back like the tab on an old Coke can. Bummer.

What a letdown for sure . But that looks like a nice pan . I'd be pretty tempted to buy it and get a good welder to TIG weld , silver solder or braze it so that the handle is sturdy again and keep it as a user . They are so nice and light and usually have a glass smooth cooking surface .

I found a grimy pan at a flea market just this week and when I turned it over it said ERIE on it . Up here in Canada that's pretty much like as rare as winning the lottery . I could hardly keep myself calm when I asked what he wanted for it . And I nearly broke my arm getting my money out when he said " I want $10 for it " .

It turned out to be a #9 ERIE 3rd series and it's in the oven seasoning as I type this :biggrin:

Wow! Congrats!

This one would have to be welded to use. The crack went almost all the way to the bottom.

You're right about the weight and surface. I was surprised with how light it was and the surface was really smooth.

Yeah , the ERIE I picked up the other day has a very smooth cooking surface and is nice and light .

As for the welding , it CAN be done . I have a piece out now with a welder friend who is repairing it for me . The repair WILL show , but the piece will be perfectly useful again .

Go back . Tell the guy it useless now except as a wall hanger and offer him $10 for it .The worse he can say is no and I think if you know someone who can fix it , it's still a great pan for $20 . But he might meet you in the middle at $15 . Anyway , just a thought .

That is a nice looking skillet. It's a shame it's cracked. Just the other night I saw a Wagner that was made into a clock and very simply done. With pained bottle caps for numbers of different colors. There wasn't much info on in the local listing. But it did look like it was drilled in the center. Maybe it was a crack pan they repurposed to clock?

Back