• If a web search for the answer to your cast iron cookware question has brought you directly to this forum, the information you seek may be covered in one of the many reference topics featured on the main website.

Quick Links: · Main Website · How to Identify Unmarked Pans · All About Cleaning & Seasoning · Reproductions & Counterfeits · Commonly-Used Terms

• Threads in this Recipe File forum should begin with an actual, typed (by you) recipe including ingredients, quantities, and detailed instructions.
    If a recipe copied from another source, credit should be given to that source. Readers may feel free to reply with comments or ask questions about the recipe in the thread. If viewing a recipe makes you think of one you wish to share, please start a new thread with it. Requests for recipes or for cooking help, and postings about other cooking subjects should be made in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

Home Made Biscuits

MDFraley

My brother-in-law made the best biscuits I have ever eaten a few weeks back on a visit to see my sis and daughters. I ask him for his recipe and basically it turns out to be the exact recipe that's listed on the back of his flour that he swears by. For those of you that have access to Hudson Cream self-rising flour it is listed on the back of the bag. The only additions he makes is the addition of salt and Crisco shortening. He also uses cooking oil to grease the pan even though the mix has Crisco in it.
Here's the long and short of it for anyone wanting to try.

2 cups of Hudson Cream self-rising flour sifted into a large bowl
1/3 cup of Crisco
3/4 cups of buttermilk (he doesn't measure but it could take more)
1/2 tsp salt

Blend Crisco into flour thoroughly first...add the buttermilk and form dough into a large ball. Place dough on a lightly floured cutting board and knead four to five times folding it over itself. Roll out to about 1/2 inch thick and let set for a few minutes. Using a biscuit cutter cut and place into the greased pan (does not have to be pre-heated) and flip the biscuit so both sides are oiled. He places the biscuits touching each other which he says makes them more moist. Bake in the oven at 425 degrees for apx. 15 minutes.
These are great with gravy or butter and jelly....oh heck....just put what you like best on a biscuit and enjoy.

Those do sound good, I have not tried homemade biscuits yet but recently as a few days ago was looking up biscuit recipes on line.

I don’t usually keep buttermilk on hand and usually cheat and just sour the whole milk of what I need.

I don't keep milk on hand either (unless it's frozen) but I do have a canister of Saco powdered buttermilk. Lotta good recipes on their site: Sacopantry.com

This recipe is similar to my grandmothers recipe. I remember her telling me to add crisco about the size of an egg. No measuring. Great biscuits.

Back