Griswold #6 Rust?

Guys,

This Griswold of mine seems to be retaining rust even though I've cleaned it many times: I've stripped it several times in self-clean cycle of oven; used vinegar to remove rust; seasoned; reseasoned, etc., and it still periodically gives me trouble.

Lately, after having used it, and cleaned it, and reseasoned, it is NOW not wanting to take seasoning in the center of the skillet. It gives an appearance of being wet, even though I've thoroughly dried it on stove.

I'm attaching a pic, hopefully you can help me?

I for one wont use the self cleaning oven method. Id use Easy Off and a garbage bag. that will strip it again for you, then season as usual.

T.

I agree with Sean. As has been discussed here many times, the oven clean method has a risk of damaging the piece, and I don't take that risk.

If you don't have a lye bath, regular (yellow can) Easy Off, a plastic garbage bag and long "plastic" gloves definitely work on removing the crud.

Good luck.

Hard to tell for sure but I don’t see rust. It just looks like uneven seasoning. It sort of looks like acidic foods such as tomato sauce may have taken some of the seasoning off. I personally wouldn’t strip and reseason. Just keep using it and it will even out and darken. Try not to use acidic foods until it gets really seasoned. As far as the place in the center not taking seasoning. Does food stick there and not in the other areas of the pan? If so I’d just try adding a layer of seasoning without stripping. Just scour it really good and reseason on what’s there. I reseason on top of my existing seasoning every once in a while. Instead of stripping and starting from scratch. The burnt on layer of carbon is too hard to get so it’s counterproductive to remove it. New layer of seasoning on top and keep cooking.

Yeah the pan looks fine to me, just start out cooking greasy foods and you will have an all black surface in no time. Also I am a fan of the oven cleaning method, at least I have had no problems yet. Surface rust will appear immediately after the cleaning but should come off with a hot water/soap scrub then from there do a few rounds of seasoning immediately. You do not need to do the pan more then once in the oven cycle in the future.

Back