No. 8 BSR Skillet, Possible Red Mountain?

Colin Campbell

I bought 2 BSR No. 8 skillets at a recent estate sale. One is clearly a Century series as it has the identifying measurements on the bottom. The other is almost identical to it, but without anything I can readily see on the bottom other than a lot of baked on carbon crud. There does look like a very faint "0" or "O" in the 6 o'clock area, but nothing else obvious. I'm 99.99% sure it's a Red Mountain, but don't know enough if the RM's didn't have identifying marks or not. The pour spouts are a little smaller than the Century, and a little softer in how they blend in with the wall of the skillet. Going to use a lot of Easy Off HD on this one!

Attachments

• IMG_1755.jpg
    IMG_1755.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1751.jpg
    IMG_1751.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1754.jpg
    IMG_1754.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 62
Small pour spouts and no dimensional markings indicate early automation (pre-DISA machines). Marking will likely be numeral plus pattern letter. Pans from this era could have been sold as either RM or Century, as it was merely a branding change when it happened.

Thanks again! I'll post an update if there's anything hiding under all the baked on crud. Other than that slight surface rust discoloration, the cooking surface is smooth as glass.

Here's the same pan after a few soakings of Heavy Duty Easy Off. Is that reddish maroonish coloration indicative of fire damage? Maybe used over a gas flame burner? It's in a vinegar/water bath right now.

Attachments

• IMG_1784.jpg
    IMG_1784.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 60
Back