Seasoning Intricate Designs

Have you ever used any pieces with designs on the bottom, such as the wildlife series? Or like this?

566DE889-D980-4395-A58F-EC67468B8241.jpg

Do you find it more difficult applying the seasoning?

No designs, but waffle irons, corn bread pans and gem pans are a pain to clean and season. I use a silicone pastry brush to get into the crevices, and I've used chopsticks to get into some spots. Just wipe it down well otherwise you might have some pooling of oil in the detail areas.

I'm not sure if turning the pan right side up would be a good thing unless you know that you have the inside thoroughly wiped down.

When I seasoned a large kettle outside I put a bunch of oil in it then after sloshing it around for a while and getting it to the smoke point I poured in a bag of corn meal then smeared that around as it burned on. The result was a nice dry and well seasoned kettle that was jet black inside.

Why wouldn't that work for pieces like waffle irons? I haven't tried it myself yet but next time I season one I'm going to try oiling the piece, wiping it down then putting a bunch of corn meal in the crevices and bake it in the oven. I'm thinking it will absorb the excess oil and add to making that nice dark color. Then just brush out the corn meal.

What do you think?

I personally have not had any trouble seasoning pieces with intricate designs on the bottom side of any of my CI pieces. As with most seasoning procedures it's important to remove as much as possible the applied oil before inserting in the oven. I have always used a terrycloth rag (such as a 100% cotton wash cloth) and it will get into those crevices usually. Q-tips are also handy especially for WI's. Attached is a pic of my WW skillet oven that is one of my prized collection pieces and as you can see it looks great.
https://imgur.com/0ESDIv9

I restored a couple of Cracker Barrel logo skillets and they weren’t hard at all. But since I have other users, I’m not sure how much of a pain they are to maintain the nice looking bottom with use.

Back