Cast Iron Collector Forums

Cast Iron Collector Forums (http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning (http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Nitty gritty details about Easy Off HD method?? (http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4071)

JamieC 09-15-2016 04:44 PM

Nitty gritty details about Easy Off HD method??

Hi!

I posted recently about what cleaning was needed for two cast iron skillets I recently acquired via a yardsale. The conclusion was Easy Off HD and so I read the section on cleaning with that and finally acquired a can of it and I have a couple questions about nitty gritty details before I commence doing that, just to make sure I do things right. I have two skillets I will be cleaning.

1) Since this is lye based, is it better to put the skillets into the trash bag first and then carefully spray the skillets while in the bag so that none of the cleaner lands on my back porch or yard? Are rubber gloves and a handkerchief over my mouth an advisable thing?

2) Once both skillets are sprayed is it okay to nest them inside of one another inside the bag? or do they need to be separated for the Easy Off to work better?

3) It says it will take a couple days - is it possible to leave it on for too long and do damage if I don't get it checked one day?

4) when they are done soaking in it, I assume rinsing them in the kitchen sink and then give the sink a good scrubbing is the thing to do?

I just want to make sure I've covered all of my safety bases since it's lye and I have children around. Thanks!!!

Doug D. 09-15-2016 04:50 PM

Re: Nitty gritty details about Easy Off HD method??

1. yes, eye protection,too
2. yes. no.
3. no, not on bare iron
4. yes, dilution = neutralization

Steven C 09-15-2016 07:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've done it a few times and have found use rubber gloves, it doesn't seem to matter having one inside of the other. I spay them down good outside and place in bag and a tad more spay. Sit them on a old 18"x18" or so plywood and leave in the garage. It seems to keep it all flat and make it all easier to move. Give it 3-4 days. scrub with wire brush, rinse with water hose repeat with spay if needed for 2-4 days. Rinsing outside is less mess and easier to dilute into the yard for me.

There may be better ways but so far this seems ok for me.

Steve,

I thought I better add this after thinking these might be the cleaner ones post the other day, in that case the amount of time in the lye will very highly. Sometimes Up to a week or better on some it can take. This one was near a week. It had a lot or heavy carbon in places.

W. Hilditch 09-15-2016 08:59 PM

As I remove a piece from the bag I wipe it down best I can with paper towels which are left in the bag. (Separate a few first.) Then not much mess to go into the sink to rinse off. Wash & see if it needs more work. The bag gets rolled up with the gunk & towels and put in the trash.

Hilditch

SpurgeonH 09-16-2016 09:22 PM

On the back of the Easy-Off can it says for "fast cleaning" you are supposed to hear the oven to 200 degrees before applying it. I wonder if that would help clean a skillet? Of course, putting a 200 degree skillet in a plastic trash bag is not the wisest move.

Steven C 09-17-2016 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpurgeonH (Post 25717)
Of course, putting a 200 degree skillet in a plastic trash bag is not the wisest move.

LOL I can relate to that, I had a just emptied plastic bread bag beside the stove top once and picked up a hot skillet to drain oil. In about .003 seconds I had a one inch long piece of bread bag melted to one of my skillets. Let's just say it wanted to become part of the skillet awhile. There may be some still there if I look.

Steve,

W. Hilditch 09-17-2016 12:14 AM

Bake the skillet at 475 F for one hour before ............

Hilditch

JamieC 10-13-2016 02:25 PM

Okay, I am still trying to make this happen - this is what having 3 small kids will do to your process of making things happen. Lol.

Speaking of the three small kids and safety - if I spray the skillets outside over the grass, what about lye in the grass that the kids could get into? If I spray the skillets while they are in the bag, what about spray flying back up towards my face? (I have eye and mouth protection) Does this oven spray go on thick, with very little spray mist going into the air?

My husband is a little concerned about the actual process and making sure the lye fumes and particles don't just fly all over.... I'm wondering a bit myself.

If I do it over the grass should I hose it down promptly afterwards to be safe? Not let my kids play out there again for a day or so?

Thanks!

Doug D. 10-13-2016 02:35 PM

Other than to your eyes or as a concentrated inhalation, the strength of the lye in the product is not such that it would cause immediate damage. If it gets on skin or clothing, wash it off right away. Easy Off HD is a foaming product, so vapor or sprayback is minimal. Remember, you would normally be using the product in an oven inside your home without curtaining off the kitchen. Spraying while in the bag is actually a good idea. Anything falls on the grass, just watering it down will take care of it. Dilution is neutralization. Your primary concern would be keeping the bagged pans in treatment secured away from children and pets.

Steven C 10-13-2016 02:44 PM

I have a outside/inside cat. I just hose down the overspray on the grass just for the cat and possible anything else including the grass or in my case weeds:) it will give you peace of mind. Is it necessary? I don't know but that what I like to do.