Cast Iron Collector Forums

Cast Iron Collector Forums (http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Cast Iron (http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Chainmail Scrubbing Pad (http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7732)

Trevor McCready 01-04-2020 02:17 PM

Chainmail Scrubbing Pad

I just received a gifted Lodge Chainmail Scrubbing Pad. Any thoughts on these? Any have experience with these?

Thanks,
Trevor

BarryL 01-04-2020 02:31 PM

Re: Chainmail Scrubbing Pad

I have a stainless steel scrub pad that I sometimes use on other things, but I have never used it on my CI. For the CI I normally just use a paper towel, or a scrub brush when needed.

BetseyT 01-04-2020 04:56 PM

I like mine. Give it a try. Best for lots of stuff to clean off. For just a little, I use salt and a wet paper towel.

BarryL 01-04-2020 07:59 PM

The little scrub pad I have works great for many things. I love it for cleaning my turkey fryer, and for stubborn stuck on food that gets on my SS cookware. I just don't want to risk damaging the carefully managed surface of my 6 or 8 month old combo cooker (that has become my go to CI).

Ed Grabski 01-04-2020 08:49 PM

The Lodge plastic scrapers seem to work the best for me to remove most/all left in the pan.
After that a dishcloth to clean the rest.

Trevor McCready 01-04-2020 09:12 PM

Thanks for all the info. Just cooked and used it on my #14 Griswold. Worked great. I too have the plastic scrapers and use those for smaller cleanups.

Thanks,

Greg Brunett 01-05-2020 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Grabski (Post 46610)
The Lodge plastic scrapers seem to work the best for me to remove most/all left in the pan.

Same here. I have 2 of the brown Pampered chef scrapers that I really like. Then I also have a set of the Lodge ones. Im still warming up to them.

Trevor McCready 01-05-2020 12:51 PM

Yes, I too have the Pampered Chef scrapers for my chicken oven. I like those and use the a lot.

Ric M 01-26-2020 08:42 PM

I use these PC scrapers on my board after I make my pizza dough. They make clean up so easy.

Mike_M 01-27-2020 08:52 PM

I just ordered a chain mail scrubber as well.

AllenN 01-31-2020 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Grabski (Post 46610)

Where do you obtain the Lodge plastic scrapers?:-|

Ed Grabski 01-31-2020 05:44 AM

Amazon
I think it was $2.50 delivered

AllenN 01-31-2020 09:45 AM

Thanks for the reply, Ed. I'm new at the collector thing, and no very little about it.

Ed Grabski 01-31-2020 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllenN (Post 46811)
Thanks for the reply, Ed. I'm new at the collector thing, and no very little about it.

I'm new also but Cheap :-)
Bass Pro wants around $8 for the same thing........

I'm almost to Florida and it's the only place I find most of my Cast Iron, at the Flea Markets, some of the prices are high so you have to pass on a lot of it.

Amazon
Lodge Pan Scrapers. Handheld Polycarbonate Cast Iron Pan Cleaners. (2-Pack. Red/Black)

AllenN 01-31-2020 07:52 PM

I just ordered a pack of the Scrapers from Amazon a few minutes ago.
Can you tell me if I'm wrong in my assumption, that the rougher a cast-iron skillet bottom is, the more easily food sticks to it? -or-
Does the 'seasoning' negate the roughness of the skillet bottom?

Mike_M 02-02-2020 08:57 PM

After getting the chain mail, i am having second thoughts on using it. Cant see how it wont harm the seasoning layer. I had gotten the ringe.

WallyF 02-10-2020 11:17 AM

No chainmail for me.

http://www.castironcollector.com/maintenance.php

Sharp metal isn't advised during cooking. I'm not taking a risk after cooking and going metal to metal. Too much work building up the seasoning to risk it.

My post cooking cleaning is 1 or 2 steps. If there are "big" pieces, then I boil water and use a Pampered Chef scrapper. The next step is a little oil and kosher salt as Doug describes. After rinsing with warm water, dry it and put a little oil (about a quarter size) and wipe it off (inside and out).

If I'm satisfied with wiping it out after cooking, I will step 1 and maybe 2. Going directly to the drop of oil.