Caraway?

William J

I am not sure if it is from mom's or dad's side of the family, although I suspect my Suisse ancestors may have imparted a liking of caraway in my sauerkraut and beef dishes as well as pork and chicken. One of the problems that I continue to experience is the best permeation of the caraway's flavor seems to peak about the time the pot is empty! Which I find to be a bit of a problem. Cooking techniques handed down through a few generations has me tossing the seeds in the mix as it is cooking away.

This brings me to ask: What might be the best way to accelerate the flavor releasing process of the caraway?

Crushing them? Simmering in water for an extended time? Soaking them in water or oil for days?

Any ideas?

P.S. Caraway is very good in stuffed peppers, too!

This is definitely the right site for such a question. William J. just needs the right tool for the job. I suggest you use a cast iron mortar and pestle to crack open those stingy caraway seeds so they release their flavor faster for you.

Room temp oil in a pan. Add seed. Bring it up to temp stirring. Like strong then leave it in. Mild then remove. Add stuff.

Do the same with garlic when needed. Hot oil will burn it very quickly. The chances of getting it right are very slim. Cold oil,and pan then warm until the garlic is perfect. Add to dish or whatever.

Thank you for your insight, all. I do appreciate it!

Ty-I am afraid I have no cast iron in my mortar and pestle. But, I do have a defense when my friends tell me I have lost all of my marble(s), I dig out my M&P and show them that I still have it.

Dan-I would have never thought of oil volatility without your mentioning it ... I will try delaying when I put in the crushed seeds.

By the way, these are timely answers as there will be a rerun, minus the sweet gravy (I hope) of last week's meal of the week that will be one of tomorrow's projects.

Thanks again!

I seem to remember our administrator telling the owner of a cast iron mortar and pestle that this site was about cast iron hollowware.

Hard to say what it's worth if no one can even tell for certain what it is. It may not even be cookware, as in pots and pans, which is what this site and forum focus on. Maybe an antique appraisal service could give you an idea.

Hilditch

I seem to remember our administrator telling the owner of a cast iron mortar and pestle that this site was about cast iron hollowware.
No, I told the owner of something that probably wasn't a cast iron mortar and pestle that, since this site is about cast iron cookware, help identifying whatever it was he had might be best accomplished by contacting someone with a broad experience and interest in antiques.

Sorry Doug. I was on your side. I found that it was an cast iron oriental mortar and pestle used for medical purposes and didn't think the cooking of caraway seeds was a better fit to this site as it had nothing to do with pots and pans.

Hilditch

Please let me be the one to decide when and if the discussion has strayed too far from serving the mission of the site.

Do you have any suggestions as to enhancement of the flavor of caraway seeds?

Back