Beef Bourguignon Pot Pie

EricC

Beef bourguignon (also known as beef Burgundy, from the region of France where the dish originates) is an old French standard. In this recipe it is made into a pot pie.

I followed the recipe at this link:
http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/beef-bourguignonne-pot-pie

With these variations:
- Instead of chicken broth I used beef broth, as that is the traditional ingredient
- Instead of crimini mushrooms I used baby portabellas, as that was what was available
- Instead of pearl onions I used slightly larger boiler onions, again because that was what was available

Cooking tip - when trying to peel pearl (or boiler) onions, instead of doing it like full-size onions, just cut off the root end, stick them in boiling water for 30 secs, then pinch them from the top side, they pop out of their skin through the bottom.

This was done entirely in cast iron, using a #8 DO, a #10 skillet, and a #8 skillet.

On to the "action shots"...

Some prep work...

Flour-coated beef browned, bacon rendering...

Other steps done, ready for braising liquid...

Ready for the oven...

And later, the onions and mushrooms sauteed in the #10 and ready to be added...

Part 2:

The finished beef bourguignon...

One of the two puff pastry sheets rolled out...

#8 skillet lined and trimmed...

Bourguignon added. Looks like I could have gotten away with a #6, maybe, but it still worked...

Top crust added, trimmed, sealed and egg washed...

Part 3, the finished result...

This was a lot of work but it was quite delicious. There were no leftovers...

Look's great! One question... where's the burgundy?

Loving the patina on the carbon steel butcher. Seeing it I can immediately tell that you understand and like carbon. I would suggest that you look into some Japanese carbon gyutos with trad handles. I'd suggest the Masamoto KS series white steel or the Mizuno Akitada Hontanren clad blue steel knives. I own the latter, and along with my Erie branded iron it is one of my prize possessions.

Maybe not, but the "patina" on the butcher knife looks forced to me.

What's wrong with a forced patina? A mustard/vinegar finish on carbon can be quite lovely. Although I do agree that a deep naturally developed grey is my preference. Not unusual though to force a patina then let it develop and age with time, particularly in a knife that sees less use than something like a chef knife or petty.

Eric looks great, I've never done a beef pot pie. I do make a
Chicken or turkey pot pie in the colder months. I will try this in the future and look forward to seeing how it taste. I do a regular type pie crust and never used puff pastry, but have seen it used in many dishes. It is something I
Need to experiment with and use with other dishes.

Steve,

What's wrong with a forced patina? Nothing, if you like them. I don't. The fact that they look fake and totally unnatural is precisely why I don't like them. Different strokes for different folks.

Back