Cast Iron Collector Forums

Cast Iron Collector Forums (
-   Cooking In Cast Iron (
-   -   Lamb Mold (

SJanous 03-19-2017 03:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I inherited a lamb mold and interested in finding someone who has a mold with vents in the front and bakes with it. I have not found a recipe that will give me enough rise" to fill the head of the lamb face. I tried turning the mold during baking, but if its too soon batter just runs out. Too far in the cooking process and batter has set. I have resorted to putting aluminum foil in the openings and a small ball on the outside to present the batter from leaking.

Here are a couple of pictures of the lamb mold.


Doug D. 03-19-2017 07:28 PM

Re: Lamb Mold
No photos of Griswold lamb molds I have found show vent holes, although the two in the body of yours do appear to be cast in. The one in the nose, not so much. Is there an 865 on one of the tabs on the other half?

Here is a scan of the recipe pamphlet which came with the Griswolds, which may provide some insights.

CJ Lucas 12-10-2017 01:10 PM

Re: Lamb Mold
The lamb mold I have is a No. 866 and the front half is larger than the back half. It has the vent holes in the back. You are supposed to place the mold "face-side" down, fill with batter and place the "back-side" on top. With the mold placed face-down, the batter will properly fill the face and you will get the definition you are looking for.

Perhaps someone that didn't know how to use the mold drilled vent holes in the front. Not sure if yours is a knock-off.

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 01:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------[/SIZE]

I also have one that has the back-half larger than the front and it has no vent holes or markings of any kind that I can find. It is 13 3/8 x 8

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.