A Few Firsts

SteveB

I found a new antique store last week that wasn’t on google. Found the Wagner Krusty and the slant Griswold there.

Again probably not a big deal a lot of places but it’s the first time I’ve even laid eyes on either of these.. and when I picked them up I couldn’t help but just grin at the $24 tag on the Griswold. I paid $34 for the corn stick pan.

Then on the way home I stopped by the same store I scored the iron mountain DO. There in the same booth was the Red Mountain #10, and like the DO was marked “vintage lodge” $32.. also the first RM series I’ve seen. I’ve cleaned them up with lye and are now in the oven, I’ll put up a few after pics when finished.

Question on the BSR, after cleaning it is marked 10- . I assume the dash after the 10 is a mold mark?

I probably would have been happier paying the $34 for the Griswold and $24 for the Krusty Korn, but I guess it all comes out in the wash. By the time the BSR #10 was made, automated mold making had begun. But then BSR pre-automation didn't use molder's marks to track production. The dash is therefore likely just another way to identify which pattern made which pan.

Thanks for the info Doug. Agreed on the Krusty Korn vs the Griswold price. The Krusty was actually in another booth and I’d already put it back.. But had to grab it on the way out.

on the BSR I thought it was a century due to the little pour spouts, I didn’t like being stumped so I ordered the blue & red book along with a few others.I’m really pleased with how it cleaned up. Big heavy bugger is going to see a lot of use!

---------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

Also in the BSR booth was this big Griswold griddle, but at $225 I had to pass but I’ll keep an eye on it grin.

There was also an Erie marked nickel plated DO. I couldn’t find any examples of it online. It was quite an attractive piece, but at nearly $300 I put it back. For now..

Last edited:
yeah, I'd buy every slant epu 8 you find for $24... can't go wrong there (unless it's warped or cracked... heck I'm pretty sure I've seen ones pitted so badly that you couldn't see the griswold logo sell for more than $24)

were are the pics of the iron mountain DO?

Also, in that last pic with the griswold griddle, there's a big rusty dutch oven on the lower right with markings on the lid... what is that one? what does it say on the lid? that looks really old..

I don’t have very good photos of the iron mountain, but here it is.

As for the old DO in the picture I’m sorry to say I don’t remember. I first seen it a few months ago and took pictures of it to research it a little. The name is on top of it but for the life of me can’t remember it and I’ve deleted the photos . Its something “John ____& sons” out of New York , if I remember correctly from when I researched it John__& sons split from their family foundry in PA and started up again in NY.

It’s a really nice gatemark DO, light and great raised markings.. the problem is it’s absolutely roached on the inside, almost rusted through in places. And he still wants over $100 for it. I’ll take another picture of it next time I’m in.

D_Madden here is the old DO. It’s a cool looking piece. I inspected it again a little closer, even new it had to be a pretty light weight DO, and unfortunately I think all that’s there worth anything is the lid. I’m afraid after it got cleaned up some spots would be so thin I doubt it would be usable.

the Savery stuff has it's fair share of collectors... if the price weren't so high I'd be tempted to try a restoration just to see how good I could get it to look... even pitted interior... it appears to be a correct matched set and probably dates to the 1860's or 70's... there is a facebook group called 'the iron works! collectors of early cast iron'... you might join the group and post your pics and see what kind of info you can get... it might be worth more than the current asking price, even in that condition.

I deleted my Facebook app over a year ago. But I might get back on to check that out.

I talked to the store owner and she gave me the booth owners number. She said he’d haggle with me. He’s already marked it down $100 from his initial asking price.

It certainly will catch your eye , and I’d like to see it restored, I just don’t know, I like collecting but I use them to, it’s a big part of it for me. I guess I’ll just see if he’s reasonable on it or not.

Another note on it is that it’s really well made, even crusty the lid sits on it like it was born there, the pot is flared and the lid sits down almost flush with the top of the pot, very nice fit.

And it’s got to be a fairly rare thing to have a piece that old so well marked? Seems most were strictly utility from that era

Back