• If a web search for the answer to your cast iron cookware question has brought you directly to this forum, the information you seek may be covered in one of the many reference topics featured on the main website.

Quick Links: · Main Website · How to Identify Unmarked Pans · All About Cleaning & Seasoning · Reproductions & Counterfeits · Commonly-Used Terms

• Threads in this Recipe File forum should begin with an actual, typed (by you) recipe including ingredients, quantities, and detailed instructions.
    If a recipe copied from another source, credit should be given to that source. Readers may feel free to reply with comments or ask questions about the recipe in the thread. If viewing a recipe makes you think of one you wish to share, please start a new thread with it. Requests for recipes or for cooking help, and postings about other cooking subjects should be made in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

Blueberry Gems

Alex A

The birds are actually letting me have some of the blueberries from my bushes this year, so I’ve been finding new ways to use them up. When doing a google search for ‘blueberry gems’, the first 15 or so results are the same two recipes stolen and reposted over and over. And neither looked appealing to me anyway. Then I found this one from the FB page Julsy’s Delicious Food in New Zealand: https://m.facebook.com/Julsysdeliciousfood/photos/a.2144343045845569/2335976870015518/?type=3

I made it just now. It’s yummy. https://imgur.com/a/BEMYlIs

I’m reposting it here with more technical detail based on what worked well for me:

1 cup self rising flour
1/4 cup sugar
5oz whole milk*, warm or room temperature
50g melted butter (I used Kerrygold salted butter. It’s great for baking.)
1 tsp vanilla
1 beaten large egg, close to room temperature
1 cup fresh blueberries
More butter, cut into small pieces, for greasing the pan

-Put gem pans into 400*F oven while it preheats.
-Mix sugar and flour in a medium bowl; make a well in the center.
-Pour egg, butter, and vanilla into center, whisk five or six times, then continue whisking while pouring in the milk.
-When the mixture is still a little lumpy and runny, add the blueberries and whisk gently until smooth.
-Pull gem pans from oven and add a little butter to each cup, enough to coat the bottom and sides using a pastry brush. Fill cups using a ladle or measuring cup.
-I baked mine until they were nicely browned on top and a knife came out clean when I pierced them. For me this was 20 minutes in the oven because I filled the cups all the way to the top (which is not necessary, but I didn’t want to have to use more than one pan), and I used a Griswold number 5 gem pan, which has fairly large cups. I would imagine this could be done in 12 - 15 minutes with pans that have smaller cups.
-When gems are done, set pan on top of stove for 5 minutes, then remove gems to a baking rack to finish cooling. I didn’t actually time it, but I think this is close enough. They might get soggy if you leave them in the pan to finish cooling.

*The original recipe says 1/2-3/4c (aka 4-6oz) milk. I used the avg of 5oz. The batter looked pretty loose when I was done mixing, but the end result was nice and moist without falling apart.

Back