What is This Skillet?

Nichole M

Here is the other find today. I thought it was a BSR, as it was laying on the ground face down. When I picked it up and turned it over I saw the big ears and the raised #9. I am not familiar enough with BSR (as there are so very few in my area) but I didn't think this all matched. Anyone have some thoughts for me? It's currently in the lye bath so I hope something shows up on the bottom once the crud is off. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_5944.jpg
    IMG_5944.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_5945.jpg
    IMG_5945.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_5946.jpg
    IMG_5946.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 81
All done! I think it came out great! I've wanted a #9 for some time but just couldn't find one other than once at an antique store for $95. So I waited and finally gave up. That's when I found this guy! I've been restoring a friends #9 Wagner/Griswold for them so it was kind of ironic.

Attachments

• IMG_5972.JPG
    IMG_5972.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_5973.jpg
    IMG_5973.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 104
Wow, that turned out beautifully!

Having a look at the "Identifying No-Name Iron" section of CIC it seems that your skillet fits the description of a 1930's "no-notch" Lodge i.e.

- Skillets have inset heat ring with single notch opposite handle at 12 o'clock.
- Raised size number on top of handle or ¾" high size number at 12 o'clock
- Raised small molder's mark letter at 6 o'clock
- Some earlier "no-notch" patterns were re-purposed, but otherwise have the same characteristics

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Back